Stephen King where to start?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
leslieawright129
Currently Reading: Radical Kindness
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslieawright129.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Re: Stephen King where to start?

Post by leslieawright129 »

Stephen King is one of my favorite authors. I would recommend starting with one of his short story collections of which there are many. My personal favorite is Full Dark, No Stars.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

I think it depends on what you're most interested in. What do you prefer, horror or fantasy? The Shining is the best option for those who love scary books. If you don't, then start with the Dark Tower Series.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
cassiekeech2019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: -2
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cassiekeech2019 »

When I first started reading Stephen King's books, I started with Carrie. Now when a new movie or mini-series comes out based on one of his books, I will read that book first, and then watch the movie or mini-series.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

If you don't want to jump right into Stephen King, you could also try an author like Dean Koontz. He has some really good thriller/horror books. I'd start with Phantoms if you choose to go that route.
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

AmyMarie2171 wrote: 24 May 2020, 17:19 If you don't want to jump right into Stephen King, you could also try an author like Dean Koontz. He has some really good thriller/horror books. I'd start with Phantoms if you choose to go that route.
This is a great suggestion! I've never personally read any Dean Koontz but I know a lot of people who love his thrillers. My first Stephen King book was Under the Dome but I think it's a bit long if you don't know if you'll like the style or subject matter.
ghillian
Currently Reading: Let's Get Lost
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ghillian »

The first book I read from Stephen King is Misery. It is a psychological thriller novel and I loved it very much :D
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I started with DreamCatcher and it's not a bad place to start. I'd really recommend It or Needful Things. I love Needful Things. A man runs a shop and sells to you exactly what you need. For a man who gambles, a horse track that shows you who will win in a real race, and the like. But they all have a twist, and the townsfolk have secrets and some secrets never get answered.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”