Stephen King where to start?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Eanderson531
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eanderson531.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Stephen King where to start?

Post by Eanderson531 »

I have never read a Stephen King book but I love the horror and mystery genre. What would you recommed is the best book to start with?
Lungz_
Favorite Book: 50 Shades of Grey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lungz.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Lungz_ »

I've read Stephen Kings "The Mist". Awesome thriller, perhaps you could try that one. Also what I know is that the "Dark Tower" series is really popular. I bet those should keep you glued on to him 😊
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

I'm in the process of reading the Dark Tower series myself. It's been an enjoyable experience so far.

I've read "Carrie" and it was good. I'm in the process of reading "Pet Sematary" (trying to read it before I see the movie).
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I have read most of his books and depending on what kind of horror your actually looking for? He ranges from gory, crazy to a more developed kind of horror. Easy reads are Salem's Lot and Cujo. I would start with some of his earlier works and then move on to the later ones. My favorite is the Stand , it is quite a long novel, but it keeps you involved throughout. The Skeleton Crew is a compilation of short stories and that might be one you could start with.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Bruster
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bruster »

I agree with skeleton crew being a great place to start with Stephen King, and definitely start with his earlier books I feel they have more of what I like to call the real King books but whatever you do don't if you can help it watch any movies that have been made from his books, well directly from his horror collection, read IT before watching the new movie, but just incase you didn't know films like shawshank redemption and Green Mile are also Steven King so it's not all horror and gore.
Shannylynn

Post by Shannylynn »

Thank will start with those
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Eanderson531 wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 05:40 I have never read a Stephen King book but I love the horror and mystery genre. What would you recommed is the best book to start with?
The best place to start is always at the beginning. Read Carrie. That's his first book; it was the right move on his part (telekinesis worked for him).
Lee-Ann20
Currently Reading: Lovely War
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-ann20.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Lee-Ann20 »

I would also start with his earlier works and then move forward. Not everything he writes is gory. He has fantasy, Dark Tower and Eyes of the Dragon, and historical sci-fi, 11/22/64. Sleeping Beauties, that he wrote with his son his really a feminist novel. He even has non-fiction for the writing process
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Just remembered , what about Firestarter?
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by luz0928 »

I recommend you "Misery", besides the ones that have been said already, it is really good!
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I personally started with a trio which included The Shinning, Carrie and Misery. However, I recommend Carrie as a good first read. It is short yet powerful and gives you a brief insight into King's writing style.
Euvonna
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem

Post by Euvonna »

I absolutely love Stephen King books! He always has a grain of truth to start his books with and the imagination that goes into them!!!!! The stand is also my favorite! Not only the book, but the movie also!
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

I didn't want to read Stephen King at all but a few years ago I talked about it with a friend and he recommended I start with Apt Pupil. And what do you know? I ended up loving it. So, I suggest you start with that?
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

luz0928 wrote: 31 May 2019, 16:01 I recommend you "Misery", besides the ones that have been said already, it is really good!
Agreed! It eases into how creepy his writing can be without getting too scary. Next I think it would be easier to read some of his darker, longer works. I also wanted to read It which I've been told is heavy.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by luz0928 »

Sinclairess wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 14:20
luz0928 wrote: 31 May 2019, 16:01 I recommend you "Misery", besides the ones that have been said already, it is really good!
Agreed! It eases into how creepy his writing can be without getting too scary. Next I think it would be easier to read some of his darker, longer works. I also wanted to read It which I've been told is heavy.
"IT" it's pretty heavy, the creepiest I've read by King. But I thought it was really good, I recommend it to people that maybe can take it, it is not for everybody.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”