Older teenager looking for anything!

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Chxrlie123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Older teenager looking for anything!

Post by Chxrlie123 »

Hi, my name is Charlie, I'm 17 and live in the UK. I go to school studying a-levels in all 3 sciences and I would like to go on to study medicine at university.

Currently, I have had some trouble finding well written young adult books to read. I finished a fabulous book series called The Final Empire, aka the Mistborn series, around a year ago. If you havn't read that already and want to give fantasy dystopian novels a go, I would really recommend it. Anyway I loved that book series, but then went on to read (or at least try to) the Red Queen series. I read the first 3 books slowly and have been 'reading' the final book for about 3 months now. 

Last week I decided to scrap this and bought a book called VOX by Christina Dalcher. I am told it is similar to the Handmaid's tale so I am excited to start this book.

However I would like to have my eyes set on another book to pick up straight after, in hopes that I get back into reading more frequently. Could anyone help me with this? I am fairly well read so the difficulty of the language shouldn't be much of a problem. I have enjoyed reading dystopian young adult novels, and would like to keep doing so if possible. However, I am starting to see the same tropes come up over and over again so if you feel that you have books in other genres that I could read, I would love to hear those suggestions as well. Saying this, I havn't stuck only to distopian YA in the past, but it does take up the majority of my bookshelf. 

At school I do lots of scientific and logical work, so I enjoy reading for the fact I can leave that headspace and go to a more creative one, which is why I mainly read fiction (I can count on one hand the amount of non-fiction books I have read). I do prefer a female protagonist, but defiantly not one that is annoying. I prefer the books I read to be first person, but that may be because I have not had much experience with third person novels. The main thing I would be looking for is an author who is good at world building in the novel, as I think setting the scene for a book interests me - what is the society like? what is good and/or bad? Also, a good storyline is important, and hopefully one that isnt too overused by other authors, for that genre. I want to get away from simplistic love triangles and 'difficult' choices...I'm looking for something a little more complicated.

My favourite books are: 
Starters series by Lissa Price
Uglies series by Scott Westerfield 
Handmaid's tale by Margaret Atwood
Mistborn Seires by Brandon Sanderson
Wild Swans by Jung Chang

These are just the ones I can think of at the moment, but hopefully that gives you an idea of the sort of books I have read in the past.

Finally if anyone would like to recommend to me a book, even if it is completely different to the ones I have mentioned, then please do - I am always looking to expand the genres on my bookshelf

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, if you have any questions or recommendations, please just leave them below or send me a private message.

Many Thanks,

Charlie
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

I know you are into dystopian, I'd recommend trying some classics. These tend to avoid some of those more annoying tropes modern YA has. My favorite is We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is another one of my favorites. I also love Farenheit 451, and actually have both the novel and a graphic novel version, too.

I definitely would try out The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. It sounds simplistic because it takes place during a high school chocolate fundraiser but the book dives into complicated issues such as manipulation, secret societies, and corruption.
ChaosofaMadHatter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaosofamadhatter.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by ChaosofaMadHatter »

I would highly suggest the Fifth Wave Trilogy by Rick Yancey, along with The Broken Earth Trilogy by N K Jemisin. The first explores more of alien/sci fi apocalyptic event, while second is a post apocalyptic fantasy based series.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”