Books with unique writing style

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Eanderson531
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eanderson531.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Books with unique writing style

Post by Eanderson531 »

I am looking for some uniquely written books. For example styles like House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski or Replica by Lauren Oliver. With both of these books I very much enjoyed that the author presented a new way to interact with the text. However, I have struggled to find any other books written in these unique styles. Any help would be appreciated.
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

I just finished reading The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. The style is very unique. It is very stream-of-consciousness that blurs the past and the present.
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess is written entirely in made-up slang. The first couple of pages can be a head scratcher until you get used to the language, and by the end of the book you can practically speak Nadsat.
Ellen Hopkins also has a very unique style. Her books are written like poetry/verse, but it tells a story. Often the layout of the words have an affect on the reading, as well, almost like an illustration.
ChaosofaMadHatter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaosofamadhatter.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by ChaosofaMadHatter »

If you're interested in fantasy, The Broken Earth has a complex writing style that plays heavily into the plot line, so I don't want to reveal too much. As is though, the style itself leads into a massive plot point that makes it very effective.
S Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mishra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by S Mishra »

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is narrated by Death who describes the three times he met the Protagonist when someone near her died...

It's set during WW2 in Nazi Germany and is really beautifully written
Cardui
Currently Reading: Legal Guide for the Visual Artist
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Cardui »

S Mishra wrote: 27 May 2019, 21:54 The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is narrated by Death who describes the three times he met the Protagonist when someone near her died...

It's set during WW2 in Nazi Germany and is really beautifully written
I was going to suggest this one as well.
melel_jo
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melel-jo.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by melel_jo »

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf is written like a stream of consciousness.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy evolves with the character - like the violence is described in less detail as the main character becomes desensitized to it.
“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.” ― A Game of Thrones
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. The writing is "improper" and written by someone who has a learning disorder. He is offered to be a test subject and agrees to boost his intelligence, because he is very aware of his state. A very thoughtful, touching read. You will cry (I did). :crying-yellow:
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

melel_jo wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 13:44 Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf is written like a stream of consciousness.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy evolves with the character - like the violence is described in less detail as the main character becomes desensitized to it.
You reminded me that I have a copy of Mrs. Dalloway! Thank you, I love the stream of consciousness style.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Czarina Grace
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarina-grace.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Czarina Grace »

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff. Steampunk, historical and high fantasy genre. From what I've seen in other discussions, half the readers hate it. The other half likes it. Personally, what I find absolutely intriguing is that he has a very unique writing style. It has a storytelling feel, with a lot of reflection, and occasionally breaking the fourth wall. So sometimes, there are specific statements with the author talking to his reader.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Pattern Recognition by William Gibson is written in first person, present tense.

Princes of the Air by John M Ford tells the story of a group of friends, but you only see them at major points in their lives when they are (almost) all together

Really, anything by Gene Wolfe, but especially Soldier of the Mist, Soldier of Arete, and Soldier of Sidon - the book is told from the point of view of a character with a traumatic brain injury that makes him a completely unreliable narrator
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Also, The Phoenix Guards (and following books) by Steven Brust - written in the style of Alexandre Dumas taken to the extreme.
Thebookwasbetter12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookwasbetter12.html
Latest Review: Head Trauma by Cheray Gardison

Post by Thebookwasbetter12 »

If you are looking for a book with a unique writing style, A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket is the way to go! This series, comprised of thirteen (13) separate novels, is about how three orphans have to combat a nefarious count who’s after their mountainous inheritance. Though this series was written for young adults, there is no doubt that many adults would find it riveting, and ultimately humorous.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Anything by Haruki Murakami is really special.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

The Jean le Flambeur's trilogy by Hannu Rajaniemi has a unique writing style because it's set in a far future with very advanced technologies that affect the characters and the story in different ways in the novels and the author tried to show that also through his style so it's a case where style is part of the substance.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore »

Lincoln In The Bardo by George Saunders is one of the most uniquely written books I’ve read! It’s written using lots of quotations from both real and fictional historical sources and the action is generally described in a very strange style. It’s quite hard to explain but it’s truly excellent.

It follows Abraham Lincoln’s son after his death as he finds himself in the Bardo, a sort of purgatorial place. Abraham Lincoln famously visited his son’s crypt several times and this is worked into the story.
'All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling' - Oscar Wilde
'Am reading more Oscar Wilde. What a tiresome, affected sod' - Noël Coward

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”