Looking for true crime recs!

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
greenmichellep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenmichellep.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Looking for true crime recs!

Post by greenmichellep »

Hi everyone!

I'm a fairly new member who is plodding my way along, figuring out how to read and post good reviews and such. :) So I'm looking for some true crime recommendations, as this is one of my favorite genres. Also, what true crime writers do you recommend, in general?
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I read "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote and found it fascinating. Then again, Capote was one of the masters.

There are other less gruesome crime novels, like "The Wolf of Wall Street" by Jordan Belfort. I didn't read it, but saw the movie and seems interesting.
Astrid Galactic
Currently Reading: The Great Blue Hills of God
Bookshelf Size: 2049
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Astrid Galactic »

You may like anything by James Ellroy. Personally, I would suggest starting with My Dark Places which is the story of his life and what led him on his quest to research and write crime stories, especially those involving murder. His mother was murdered when he was a young boy and this set the tone for his entire life. My Dark Places will give you insight into what drives him. Be aware though, he's pretty rough but has a very natural writing style.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Oh yes! Me too. I'm going to jump on here just to see what other people suggest to you. I LOVE true crime. I will post some recommendations later when I am home and can remember. I will say I was loving I am the Central Park Jogger and also the story on JonBenet Ramsey.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”