Intriguing Storylines for a Reader in College

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Intriguing Storylines for a Reader in College

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Hi I tend to enjoy dystopian or other sci-fi or fantasy, but I've found that many of these books are aimed at people younger than me. I'm in college and looking for more advanced stories in similar genres. I don't want stories that are just darker or use overinflated vocabulary but ones with intricate characters and complex plots. Any suggestion is welcome!
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

If you are into dystopians I highly recommend the classics. These are books that were intended for older audiences. There are the better known ones like 1984 by George Orwell and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I enjoy both of those, but one of my favorite dystopians is We by Yevgeny Zamayatin.

For more of a fantasy story, I suggest giving Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind a try. It is more of an adult story, and is a thick book. It is a much more advanced story, but can definitely be dark. It has adventure, memorable characters, and wizards. My boyfriend lent it to me and I enjoyed it, too.

Other authors to check out for the scifi/fantasy genres would be Ray Braddbury or Kurt Vonnegut. I'd suggest The Illustrated Man for Ray Bradbury. It's a short story collection, but all the stories intertwine in a way. For Kurt Vonnegut I'd suggest trying Slaughter-House Five (I just lent this to my boyfriend and he's enjoyed it, too) and Welcome to the Monkey House (another short story collection).

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”