Books set in (the country) South Africa?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Re: Books set in (the country) South Africa?

Post by Redlegs »

You really can't go past Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton if you want to understand South Africa.

Of course, there is also Long walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela if you want a detailed non-fiction perspective.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Try any book by the author Rayda Jacobs. She is a fantastic writer. Some of the books that I can remember are called My Father's Orchids, and Confessions of a gambler.

Also try the authors J M Coetzee, Zakes Mda and Imraan Covaadia

Another good book is 'The Power of One' by Bryce Courtenay

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:Try any book by the author Rayda Jacobs. She is a fantastic writer. Some of the books that I can remember are called My Father's Orchids, and Confessions of a gambler.

Also try the authors J M Coetzee, Zakes Mda and Imraan Covaadia

Another good book is 'The Power of One' by Bryce Courtenay
Thank you :tiphat:
I'll br sure to make a note of them :)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
alixcortez
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alixcortez.html
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane

Post by alixcortez »

South Africa has a fascinating history and some wonderful literature has been written there. I know I've read and enjoyed a couple of books set in South African, by South African authors.

I read July's People by Nadine Gordimer several years ago for an African Lit course and it was fascinating. It deals with some heavy themes about race and colonization, but it will definitely make you think.

I also read My Traitor's Heart by Rian Malan, although it was a while ago and the details of the story are a little fuzzier in my mind. I also remember that it confronted the reader with difficult truths about a post-apartheid society.
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Redlegs wrote:You really can't go past Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton if you want to understand South Africa.

Of course, there is also Long walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela if you want a detailed non-fiction perspective.
The first book that came to mind was Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton. I read this book in high school and had to write an essay about the story. I had never thought about the plight of tribal people faced with the erosion of their way of life due to the young members moving to the cities for work. This story brings these issues to light and is a powerful read. I agree with Redlegs about this being an important story to understand South Africa. The book was written in 1948, so it is dated but its importance is still relevant today.
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

I highly recommend The Sea of Wise Insects by Terry Westby-Nunn, set (mostly) in my home city Cape Town. I read it recently and couldn't put it down. It is funny, disturbing, touching and relatable. Here's a link to Good Reads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1356 ... se-insects

I also recommend Lauren Beukes, although I must say that The Shining Girls was a bit of a disappointment. Her other books are very good, though.

J.M. Coetzee is of course one of our major literary exports, but be warned, his work may just depress the hell out of you. Even so, he is a brilliant and perceptive writer. Andre Brink is also great. I find Nadine Gordimer super boring, but many people love her work.

Another great South African author of magic realism is Etienne van Heerden. The Long Silence of Mario Salviati is one of my favourite books. It is quite reminiscent of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Hmm, who else... South African Cat Hellisen is one of my favourite fantasy writers, but most of her books are set in a fantasy land so probably not what you're looking for.

Eek, this list is looking rather whitewashed. Kind of makes me realise I need to broaden my own literary horizons when it comes to my country's literature!
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

"Cry, the Beloved Country" by Alan Paton
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Thank you all!
I'm glad I have this thread as a record :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Cry, the Beloved Country
Novel by Alan Paton is a must read
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I am not aware of any books set in South Africa, though if you're looking for books set in African countries, I'd recommend Naguib Mahfooz and Abdulrazak Gurnah.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I absolutely love Coetzee's works! I think Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart is also a great book to read to know more about colonisation in Africa. If I could introduce films, I think Neill Blomkamp's District 9 is also a great movie to know more about postcolonial Africa.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

Hi Gravy,

This is an old post but I'm going to answer it anyway - I'm South African, but I now live in France. I left when I was 21 so I was born there, grew up there and attended school and university there.
I'd suggest anything by Alan Paton - Cry, The Beloved Country, being the one most people would recommend. Nadine Gordimer is also an oldie but goody.
Are you looking for anything in particular? Most literature before 1995 will be dealing with Apartheid in some way or at least mentioning it. I studied English at uni between 1990-1994 and read some wonderful commentaries on it. One of my favourites is Woza Albert - a political satire play. It's funny (although you may have to be SAfrican to really appreciate it, I don't know).
Something completely different is the Spud series, three books on a young boy in a boarding school in SA.
Let me know what you think.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by mary-annef »

Deon Meyer is a popular crime writer in South Africa and some of his books have been made into movies or TV series.
Tannie Maria & the Satanic Mechanic: A Tannie Maria Mystery by Sally Andrew
Followers of Lightning by Charles Bentley which is currently available for review on Onlinebookclub see my review here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129284

For something more serious - Memoirs of a Born Free: Reflections on the Rainbow Nation by Malaika Wa Azania

All these authors live in South Africa
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

You can't go wrong with any works by Steve Biko, and the Woods biography is interesting as well

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”