Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
_priyamvada_
Favorite Book: the book theif
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyamvada.html
Latest Review: Pivotal Moments by Susanne Birgersdotter
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by _priyamvada_ »

Book first! Always!
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

I always try my best to read the book first. This is so I can understand and appreciate how they have chosen to adapt the book and compare their interpretations with my own.
Jessixanguyen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jessixanguyen »

I never knew the answer to this question before reading and watching Call me By Your Name. :?: I always thought that the movie and book were separate pieces of art that I could enjoy on their own. Such as the Harry Potter Series.

Listening to the audiobook of Call Me By Your Name let me into how Elio perceived Oliver as this foreign and mysterious stranger that their family has let into their home for one summer. The admiration that Elio grew for Oliver was so much more romantic in the book than the longing stares and multi-purposed lines that Timothee Chalamet would direct (even if Timothee Chalamet is the Leonardo Dicaprio of his time). When I watched the movie first, the love story was captured through minimal dialogue between the characters and even the audience. Everything was left for interpretation, for example the balcony scene. In the movie, Timothee merely glances at the open balcony waiting for Oliver to sneak in during the middle of the night which is very romantic of itself. In the book, we hear the desperation and the desire that has been building up within Elio every night when he leaves the balcony door unlocked. There's a different charm that is exhibited in both Elio's in Call Me By Your Name: Elio in the movie is this suave and similarly mysterious young teen 8) while Elio in the book is the same, but we see how Oliver has broken Elio's barriers and fragility especially towards the end :? .

Film is meant to leave the audience up to interpretation, and I appreciate the freedom that watching a movie gives me. I wouldn't even be fond of narration in Call Me By Your Name because that defeats the purpose of reinventing the characters in front of the audience. I personally connect better with the book Call Me By Your Name which is why I will read the book first.
kylewanner57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kylewanner57.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by kylewanner57 »

Interestingly enough, I will watch a movie and think, I wonder if this is based off a book? Then sometimes I will read a book and really want to watch the movie, if it has one. I read all the twilight books first, and then watched the moves, and it was disappointing with the exception of the last movie. I personally don't have a preference of book first or movie first. For me, it just depends which one I decide on at the time.
MilaThegoddess
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milathegoddess.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by MilaThegoddess »

Book first! Definitely :D

As someone with an avid imagination, I feel like the story is more personal when I’m able to conjure up the images in my mind.

Watching a movie is like having to experience someone else’s account of what you both witnessed...
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

Definitely the book first! If I see the movie first, I get discouraged of reading the book because the movie took my imagination away.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

Book first, but it almost always spoils the movie. I prefer the pictures I made up in my head to the ones I end up seeing on the screen. Plus they always miss some key details. For example, I would have liked the new version of Emma a lot more had I not already read the book 10 times.
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
Flaka1996

Post by Flaka1996 »

I Will Do The Movie First Because Is Better To Already Have The Idea Of What Is Happening On The Book.
Radiant_Reader101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant-reader101.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Radiant_Reader101 »

Personally, I prefer to read the book first. The book usually contains details that the movie skims over or doesn't mention.
White Dragon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by White Dragon »

I will pick movie first. Reading a book before watching a movie counterpart, spoils the fun of the movie. Lesson learned from Harry Potter.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I prefer to read the book first. I love imagining the characters and the setting. But then again, this usually leaves me disappointed when I finally watch the movie too.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

Book first! It doesn't always go like that because sometimes I watch films without knowing that they are book adaptations but whenever I can, I read the book first, this allows me to truly sense what the characters are feeling and/or thinking. I think it is always interesting to see how books translate to the screen.
Maggie21Wussow
Currently Reading: The squad killer spirit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie21wussow.html
Latest Review: Igniting the Phoenix by Alethea Stauron

Post by Maggie21Wussow »

I almost always read the book first because books contain so much more back story and characterization (since the audience can hear the protagonist's thoughts). Many times in movies the build-up of setting and characters are sacrificed because of limited screen time. Also, filmmakers have been known to cut corners and not explain every detail because they assume the audience has read the books. The books almost always have more information so I read them then see the movies.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

In my opinion, a book is always better, just because the details it cover. It the brain child of the actual thinker (author) of the story. More often than not, People (directors and producers) tend to change stuff when movies are made to make them "better", may be free of loop holes, but it just isn't the original content that it was suppose to be.
Therefore, I personally prefer reading the book first
Jbearyahoo

Post by Jbearyahoo »

I think personally it depends on the story. With “Caging Skies” which the film Jojorabbit was based off of the plot is much lighter in the film and more enjoyable whereas the book is very dark and brooding in comparison.

Return to “Films and Books”