What books do you think deserves to be made into a film?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
CashJames
Favorite Author: Leo Tolstoy
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2780

Re:

Post by CashJames »

Jp1978 wrote:I tend to think the opposite way. I hope none of my favorites ever get made into movies.
Agreed! Each time I see the film adaptation of a book I've read, I leave the theater grumbling. Too seldom does plot rape not occur. Besides that, I find after watching the film, I can't re-read the book without picturing the film characters in place of the ones I've conjured in my head.
"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
DaoJones
Favorite Author: All of them
Favorite Book: Every book I ever read
Currently Reading: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Post by DaoJones »

Would like to see at least some of John Sandford's Davenport books made into real films (not TV movies) and I may be one of only 3 people on the planet who did not like LOTR. And yes I read the books. The only good thing about the series was leaving out Tim Benzedrine who was a complete waste of my time. He was such a wanker.
Best regards, Rick
My worst day reading a book is better than my best day doing anything else.
BookCritic101

Post by BookCritic101 »

"Oracle - Sunken Earth" by C.W. Trisef. Awesome adventure, great characters, amazing descriptions! Take it to Hollywood, baby!
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

Children's - The Magic Tree House Series
Adult - I would LOVE Peter Jackson to do the Space Odyssey quartet by Arthur C. Clarke and a Tarzan movie, also. I thought the book (by Edgar Rice Burroughs) was pretty good and that the director/writers who made the previous movies didn't have to monkey with storyline at all. I was kinda POed when I found out how off the real story line was.
titan21

Post by titan21 »

Va_treehugger wrote:I would LOVE Peter Jackson to do the Space Odyssey quartet by Arthur C. Clarke
I read all of these recently and enjoyed every single one! I would love someone to make all 4 but they'd have a job of remaking 2001 - the book was actually written to make the film. It wasn't an adaptaion of a novel. I even think 2010 was a relatively good film but detracted from the book somewhat.

I would love (please god make it come true!!) for someone to have a look at Iain M Banks and make any of his books! In particular Feersum Endjinn, Excession, Use of Weapons (in fact any of them would make fantastic films!)
Wind Wise
Favorite Author: Gaston Leroux
Favorite Book: Phantom of the Opera
Currently Reading: Red Transplanted Tales by Kate Serine
fav_author_id: 2894

Post by Wind Wise »

I totally agree with whoever said House of Night series. That would be a movie I would love!
I love to read!

My top 3 fave books:
1. Phantom of the Opera- Gaston Leroux
2. Phantom- Susan Kay
3. Speak- Laurie Halse Anderson

I need to record her voice babbling so I can listen to it when she's not around- Wintergirls
Mel Carriere

Post by Mel Carriere »

What about Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury? Has anybody done that one on the screen? I'm not too big on Clarke but I think Bradbury is pure genius, pure prophet, pure philospher. In 451 he predicts the Internet and reality TV, and describes perfectly the dumbed down, mindless drone society we live in now. Furthermore, he writes with passion. Who would they get to play the role of Guy Montag? I'm thinking Hugh Jackman, or maybe that dude who came out in Cowboys and Aliens, Daniel Craig. It would have to be a tought guy. Harrison Ford in prime would have been perfect, but he's too old now.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Mel Carriere wrote:What about Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury? Has anybody done that one on the screen? I'm not too big on Clarke but I think Bradbury is pure genius, pure prophet, pure philospher. In 451 he predicts the Internet and reality TV, and describes perfectly the dumbed down, mindless drone society we live in now. Furthermore, he writes with passion. Who would they get to play the role of Guy Montag? I'm thinking Hugh Jackman, or maybe that dude who came out in Cowboys and Aliens, Daniel Craig. It would have to be a tought guy. Harrison Ford in prime would have been perfect, but he's too old now.
I have a beautiful Folio copy of Fahrenheit 451 coming in December. Your post makes me really want it to arrive as soon as possible, I want to dive into it now. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
rachael_w

Post by rachael_w »

"The Mortal Instruments" by Cassandra Claire
asach01

Post by asach01 »

Butterbescotch wrote:Because almost movie tie-ins, if not all, are a disgrace and disappointment to the book.
Agreed - in most cases. I can think of one exception to this rule - "Forrest Gump".
Mel Carriere

Post by Mel Carriere »

Gannon wrote:
Mel Carriere wrote:What about Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury? Has anybody done that one on the screen? I'm not too big on Clarke but I think Bradbury is pure genius, pure prophet, pure philospher. In 451 he predicts the Internet and reality TV, and describes perfectly the dumbed down, mindless drone society we live in now. Furthermore, he writes with passion. Who would they get to play the role of Guy Montag? I'm thinking Hugh Jackman, or maybe that dude who came out in Cowboys and Aliens, Daniel Craig. It would have to be a tought guy. Harrison Ford in prime would have been perfect, but he's too old now.
I have a beautiful Folio copy of Fahrenheit 451 coming in December. Your post makes me really want it to arrive as soon as possible, I want to dive into it now. :)
What other books have any of you read by Bradbury that you would recommend? I am anxious to read more.

-- Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:19 am --
asach01 wrote:
Butterbescotch wrote:Because almost movie tie-ins, if not all, are a disgrace and disappointment to the book.
Agreed - in most cases. I can think of one exception to this rule - "Forrest Gump".
Forrest Gump is a unique situation in which the movie improved on and expanded the book tremendously. I disagree with the contention that movie adaptations generally disgrace the books they are based on. Hollywood has certain time constraints, and there are certain situations in books that don't translate well onto the screen. Some fans of books think that only a word by word translation on the screen will suffice, but I am not one of them. There are good movies and bad movies, and there are good movie adaptations and horrible movie adaptations.
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

Definitely more VC Andrews books other than Flowers in the Attic which was nothing like the book.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

Definitely WILD SWANS. The The story of three Chinese women from the shogun's to communism. Would make a great film or mini series
-micata-
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: Throne of Fire
Currently Reading: Torment
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micata.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by -micata- »

I want Rick Riordan's Kane Chronicles to be a movie, specially Throne of Fire. :D
Laura_Conrad

Post by Laura_Conrad »

I think they should make blue bloods into movie and so many other books. But at the same time I'm a little Leary for them to do that because as we all know the books are better then the movies.

Return to “Films and Books”