Which movie ruined a good book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Which movie ruined a good book?

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Definitely the Vampire Academy movie. The 6 books in the Vampire Academy series were great and so well-written, and when the movie came out, it was too disappointing. In my opinion, they ruined the characters and the atmosphere of the story. I still can't believe it till this day.
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

The Ender's Game movie adaptation was an enormous disappointment to me. The book focused so much on Ender's emotional development which is what made it so interesting, and the movie just tried to be as action packed as possible. It left so much out that it felt disjointed and unfinished.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Someone said the GoT tv series here and I have to agree. I watched the first season at the same time as I was reading the first book and found the former to be very meh. When I heard where they were taking my favourite characters on the show, I gave up entirely, because it sort of erased the entire point of their storylines.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

Letora wrote: 21 Mar 2019, 14:09 The Hobbit. Definitely The Hobbit. They never should have made it three movies. I would also agree with the Shannara Chronicles and I'd like to also add The Mortal Instruments both the show and movie adaptations.
Yes, the last Hobbit movie was a total waste!! They should have made two movies and it would have been fine. It’s all about making money though, so they had to milk it for everything they could get.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

The hobbit. I just don't get the idea of turning it into three movies!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

Well, according to my mom, Sahara was an astounding book, and she loved every minute she spent reading it. In fact, I think she read it a few times in a row after hearing that it was being made into a movie. She was so excited . . . and then we watched the thing and she was irate. I guess they slaughtered the story, messed up the character personalities/motivations, and completely cut out important pieces of the plot.

Also remember her telling me that Maze Runner disappointed her greatly. Guess in the books (I never read that series myself, despite her urging) the siblings, or whatever they were, had some kind of telekinetic bond and could communicate nonverbally to each other and it wasn't even breached in the movie. She was hoping they were saving it for later, but judging by the earful I endured after she saw the second movie they did not.

Personally, though, I tend to take movie adaptations as an AU in relation to the book. Like, the events happening are canon . . . but in another universe. Both are true, both are real, but don't exist at the same time. It brings me a lot of comfort and ease to think of things that way. It helps me to better enjoy films I see, too.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I agree with you on the Harry Potter series. I've always felt that they cut too many scenes from the books that people who don't read find the movies difficult to understand.
ferry flawless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferry-flawless.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by ferry flawless »

I agree with Harry Potter too.
Zaina_04
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zaina_04 »

Harley-Panda wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 04:53 The Hunger Games were not as good as I had hoped. The first one was the best of the three in my opinion, and Jennifer Lawrence was great.
Also, Paper Towns by John Green. I enjoyed the book, hated the film. Very glad I didn't waste money going to see it in the cinema!
Totally agree with you about Paper Towns!
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

"Perfume" and "Love in the Times of Cholera" were not even close to what the book was. I was really excited to watch the latter as it had great actors, but the entire movie felt superficial...
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by luz0928 »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 14 May 2019, 05:38
Letora wrote: 21 Mar 2019, 14:09 The Hobbit. Definitely The Hobbit. They never should have made it three movies. I would also agree with the Shannara Chronicles and I'd like to also add The Mortal Instruments both the show and movie adaptations.
Yes, the last Hobbit movie was a total waste!! They should have made two movies and it would have been fine. It’s all about making money though, so they had to milk it for everything they could get.
I totally agree! The Hobbit it's about adventure and discovery, I don't get why they needed to include a "love story" in the movie either and make it as long as three movies!
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by luz0928 »

Also, I think "The shining", a lot of people don't usually agree with me, but Stephen King himself didn't like Kubrik's adaptation either.
Nicole_Boyd

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

luz0928 wrote: 21 May 2019, 09:24
Nicole_Boyd wrote: 14 May 2019, 05:38
I totally agree! The Hobbit it's about adventure and discovery, I don't get why they needed to include a "love story" in the movie either and make it as long as three movies!
Yes! And they didn’t kill off the new elf character. She’s not in the original movies so they should have gotten rid of her.
Nicole_Boyd

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

SavannaEGoth wrote: 16 May 2019, 20:22 Well, according to my mom, Sahara was an astounding book, and she loved every minute she spent reading it. In fact, I think she read it a few times in a row after hearing that it was being made into a movie. She was so excited . . . and then we watched the thing and she was irate. I guess they slaughtered the story, messed up the character personalities/motivations, and completely cut out important pieces of the plot.

Also remember her telling me that Maze Runner disappointed her greatly. Guess in the books (I never read that series myself, despite her urging) the siblings, or whatever they were, had some kind of telekinetic bond and could communicate nonverbally to each other and it wasn't even breached in the movie. She was hoping they were saving it for later, but judging by the earful I endured after she saw the second movie they did not.

Personally, though, I tend to take movie adaptations as an AU in relation to the book. Like, the events happening are canon . . . but in another universe. Both are true, both are real, but don't exist at the same time. It brings me a lot of comfort and ease to think of things that way. It helps me to better enjoy films I see, too.
Ahh man I didn’t even know Sahara was a book, I’ll have to read it! I really like the movie... There’s some really great one-liners that our family likes to quote. Lol
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 29 May 2019, 18:30
SavannaEGoth wrote: 16 May 2019, 20:22 Well, according to my mom, Sahara was an astounding book, and she loved every minute she spent reading it. In fact, I think she read it a few times in a row after hearing that it was being made into a movie. She was so excited . . . and then we watched the thing and she was irate. I guess they slaughtered the story, messed up the character personalities/motivations, and completely cut out important pieces of the plot.

Ahh man I didn’t even know Sahara was a book, I’ll have to read it! I really like the movie... There’s some really great one-liners that our family likes to quote. Lol
I think that if I were my mom I would be desperately urging you to do so. :lol2: I never read the book, but I enjoyed the movie. My mom said it was a poor adaptation and it genuinely made her upset. I guess that that means the book was really good!
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm

Return to “Films and Books”