How Do you feel about the Hunger Games series and the books?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Re: How Do you feel about the Hunger Games series and the books?

Post by slj3988 »

Jennifer Lawrence was my only reason for watching them. Hunger Games is the Running Man with teenagers. Dystopian futures are very hit or miss for me
Booklover10301
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover10301.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by Booklover10301 »

I agree with you to an extent. Of course I think we will always cherish and love the original or first adaption of a series because its the first. However, I felt as though this franchise actually did a superb job or modeling the sequels in a way that stayed true enough to the original novels but also keeping those who had only viewed the movies, interested. In fact, I know of several different people who chose to solely watch the movies and not even open the books, and they seemed to rather enjoy the direction the movies took overall.
KatCguD
Currently Reading: What are You Willing to Risk
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by KatCguD »

This is one of the few franchises where I liked both the books and the movies equally. Hunger Games is really what got me into reading, and I had low expectations for the movie that got blown out of the water. The movies may have left out some things, but I thing it kept all the pieces it needed to be successful
notfawwaz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by notfawwaz »

After reading book one, I realised that the Hunger Games was ironically a book about food. Man, I got really hungry every time Katniss described the food she was eating, even the lamb stew with the prunes, and I’m a vegetarian!

It also made Katniss seem like a real girl who gets hungry, like me. Again, that’s another example of how Suzanne Collins just shattered the limiting perceptions we have of women. Yey for women who get hungry and then eat with their hands!

Of the characters I will say that I was #TeamPeeta after the story about the bread. (See, they mention food a lot in this book). I always liked Gale. I thought he was great a friend to Katniss, but I knew there would have to be a twist in the story so I was vying for Peeta.

I will admit the love triangle situation was probably unnecessary, and it reminded me briefly about Twilight. But this book’s saving grace is that the love triangle was only a subplot and there’s a bigger story about a revolution going on here.

Haymitch was one of my favourites, I didn’t like him in the beginning but he really did that thing where he grows on you. Also, I think Suzanne Collins just gave him great lines. His like that family screw up, who’s not afraid to drop the truth even when it hurts. We need more people like Haymitch, except the part where he’s an alcoholic; no one should suffer like that.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

notfawwaz wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 04:21 After reading book one, I realised that the Hunger Games was ironically a book about food. Man, I got really hungry every time Katniss described the food she was eating, even the lamb stew with the prunes, and I’m a vegetarian!

It also made Katniss seem like a real girl who gets hungry, like me. Again, that’s another example of how Suzanne Collins just shattered the limiting perceptions we have of women. Yey for women who get hungry and then eat with their hands!

Of the characters I will say that I was #TeamPeeta after the story about the bread. (See, they mention food a lot in this book). I always liked Gale. I thought he was great a friend to Katniss, but I knew there would have to be a twist in the story so I was vying for Peeta.
I hadn't realised how much reference there was to food until I read this! It's so true!
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

I loved the first two books, didn't care for Mockingjay. I loved the first two movies, and didn't watch Mockingjay. :D
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I love the depth Suzanne Collins explored into about theme and politics, and I believe it's one of the modern classics in YA lit. It's certainly a pioneer of the genre from the last ten years, with so many YA dystopians based on or inspired by it.
Evarw16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Evarw16 »

I think it is a great film and definitely worth watching. And Jennifer Lawrence is amazing at the role she was cast as.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

Loved them. Books and movies both.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

I only watched the movies but I’d love to try the books too. The movies were amazing though.
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Hunger Games is one of my favorite books and movie adaptations. I think the actors are suited well in their characters. Though I must say, that the Mockingjay Part 1 was kind of a little bit boring, but maybe this is due to the fact that they divided the movie into two parts.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Netvigator72 wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 19:25 I only watched the movies but I’d love to try the books too. The movies were amazing though.
I highly recommend you to read the books as well. I started out by reading the books before watching the film, they are both amazing.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

See_B00kReaDs wrote: 01 May 2020, 00:36
Netvigator72 wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 19:25 I only watched the movies but I’d love to try the books too. The movies were amazing though.
I highly recommend you to read the books as well. I started out by reading the books before watching the film, they are both amazing.
Thank you for your recommendation. I would surely give them a try soon.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I never watched the movies, but I do remember never really liking the third book plot.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

I liked the books the whole way through, even though the third one wasn't as good, I still really enjoyed it. As for the movies, they got much worse as time went on. To the point that I really did not like the last two movies at all.

Return to “Films and Books”