What is the last movie you saw, and rating?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: What is the last movie you saw, and rating?

Post by Bighuey »

cwags89 wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 19:59 The Highwaymen, with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson, on Netflix. Two former Texas Rangers, past their prime, took on Bonnie and Clyde. Loved it. I rate it 4 out of 4. I am not sure it is for everyone with its quiet humor, dusty roads, lack of glamour, muted intensity, and glimpse into aging issues, but for history lovers with a quirky sense of low-keyed humor, it might be just what you are looking for.
Sounds like something I would like. Ill check it out.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I watched an oldie last night, Not Of This Earth a Roger Corman film from 1957. About an alien who cones to Earth to collect blood for his people as they are dying out from some kind of a blood disease. They want to conquer the earth and make slaves out of mankind and use their blood to survive. Character actor Paul Birch plays the alien, he does a very convincing and creepy performance as the alien. It also had Beverly Garland, she was always one of my favorites. This was one of Corman's best, it just shows that you dont need a bunch of wild FX and stupid zombie actors to make a great low budget film. Of all the movies Roger Corman made, its been said only two didnt make any money.

I also watched one called Earth vs. The Spider. It was kind of stupid, not much to it except a great soundtrack score by Ronald Stein.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Joy Catap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-catap.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Joy Catap »

I watched Gone Girl in Netflix and it totally blew my mind!
The husband of a missing woman is being accused of killing his wife. And his wife's diary is found to be partially burned. In his wife diary are entries describing how his wife is very afraid that he was going to kill her. I love the twist on this one! I just hate the ending. For me, it is not good enough. It could have been better. I rate this 7.5/10
MorganSims
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MorganSims »

The last movie I saw was Annabelle Comes Home. It is the third installment of the Annabelle series which follows the journey of a demonic doll that terrorizes families. This last movie follows the Warrens, a family of paranormal investigators, as they keep the doll in safe keeping so it can’t destroy people’s lives. This movie successfully had many jump scares and the visuals were amazing and terrifying at the same time. It had characters that you wanted to protect but also characters you wouldn’t mind seeing possessed or dead because they were being stupid and rebellious. Overall I rate this movie an 8.5/10!
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

The last one I saw, on Netflix, was Solo: A Star Wars Story (PG-13), which I quite enjoyed. I was not expecting too, given the myriad press reports of its trouble production and relatively middling reviews. I'm not sure how a movie about such an iconic character could have not had such high expectations. But it was a solidly good movie. Not perfect, but thoroughly good and entertaining.
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

Whoops. Thought the poster wanted the movie's rating. Not enough coffee yet this morning for me, I'm afraid.

I'd give Solo: A Star Wars Story an 8 out of 10.
sdatsy
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by sdatsy »

Well literally the last movie I watched was Nanny McPhee and well it is a childhood classic for me hence why I rewatched it as an adult. I would give the movie 6 out of 10 stars it is pretty good but as I am older now it isn't as charming as it once was.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

Okay, I have a new 'last movie I saw.' We (my wife and I0 Watched Spider-man yesterday. It was the typical over the top urban fantasy of superheros. Yet, I loved the story. Mystereo appears to be the next Iron Man. But appearances can be deceiving. It was fun. And because of that I'd give it a solid 6.5 out of 10. (Avatar being a 10) :tiphat:
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

John Wick. It was pretty good overall though it had a LOT of head shots in it. I'd give it an 8 out of 10. Don't mess with his dog. Ever.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

clint_csperry-org wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 08:18 Okay, I have a new 'last movie I saw.' We (my wife and I0 Watched Spider-man yesterday. It was the typical over the top urban fantasy of superheros. Yet, I loved the story. Mystereo appears to be the next Iron Man. But appearances can be deceiving. It was fun. And because of that I'd give it a solid 6.5 out of 10. (Avatar being a 10) :tiphat:
I can't stand seeing what is basically a child's form of entertainment become the dominant culture in the movie industry. Movies are terrible nowadays, and they're only going to get worse. The only thing that matters is how much money they are earning. :roll:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I watched F.I.S.T. with Sylvester Stallone yesterday, a fictional account about the rise of the Teamsters union. All the names were different but the history itself is pretty accurate. A much better film than Hoffa which was mostly phony baloney. Made at a time when they made good movies, I give it 5 out of 5.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

LinaMueller wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 08:30
clint_csperry-org wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 08:18 Okay, I have a new 'last movie I saw.' We (my wife and I0 Watched Spider-man yesterday. It was the typical over the top urban fantasy of superheros. Yet, I loved the story. Mystereo appears to be the next Iron Man. But appearances can be deceiving. It was fun. And because of that I'd give it a solid 6.5 out of 10. (Avatar being a 10) :tiphat:
I can't stand seeing what is basically a child's form of entertainment become the dominant culture in the movie industry. Movies are terrible nowadays, and they're only going to get worse. The only thing that matters is how much money they are earning. :roll:
I agree with you. But, it was a way to spend a few hours while waiting on my car to be serviced. The only thing worse than these children's stories dominating, is the push by the Studios down in Hollywood to remake old movies, make live action what used to be animated or some combination thereof. There are millions of stories out there that are new, offering different worlds, or different situations. Let us see those. I won't waste my money on a remake of anything. I just wont.
Starrie09

Post by Starrie09 »

The last movie I watched was Infinity War. From what I heard I knew it was going to be a intense movie but I didn't except that ending. I rate it a 8/10.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I also agree. Remakes are usually unwatchable garbage. The only good one I know of was John Carpenter's The Thing. They did a good job with that one it even was closer to the original story.
Sam967

Post by Sam967 »

Spider-men Far for men 2019
10/10

Return to “Films and Books”