What is the last movie you saw, and rating?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Azokamchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azokamchi.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Re: What is the last movie you saw, and rating?

Post by Azokamchi »

Going to the cinema, has been a while for me. I have been binging on Netflix movies. I watched Self Made, it is a series, recently.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

watched "Up in the air" for the second time. beautiful movie. During these times of the coronavirus scare I am revisiting all my old favorites.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

The last movie I watched was "Hook". It's a movie about peter pan in a modern version. I enjoyed this movie more as I watched it with my 7 year old son.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Two Weeks Notice - one of my all time favourites!
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

Watched Insurgent even though I haven't read the books or watched Divergent. 😂 Well, it looks like a good story.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

Jurassic World 2 - So disappointing :(
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

I've rewatched Star Wars for the millionth time yesterday, it's one of my all time favorites. Definitely a 5 out of 5.
Reina275
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reina275.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reina275 »

I just watched Knives Out. I would say is the typical thing that you chose to see when you don´t have anything more to see, sadly. I heard all good things about it but I don´t agree at all. They mix drama and comedy but it is nothing fun about it and you get bored before half of the movie. I would rate it 4/10. :ugeek2: :(
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

My family and I are watching Oscar Best Picture winners. Last one was The Last Emperor. We watched the directors cut which is about an hour longer. It was amazing. The story, the acting, the sets, the costume were all outstanding. Give it a 4.5/5
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Doodle98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doodle98.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Doodle98 »

The last film I saw was Little Women from 2019.

Rating: 7/10

It was a fun time and I shed a tear or two but it really bothered me that it wasn't in chronological order. Not sure why they decided to mix up the scene order for the movie but it was distracting as someone who has read the book.
incendiotorus
Currently Reading: Asian American Sexualities
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-incendiotorus.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by incendiotorus »

The last film I saw was "The Call of the Wild" starring Harrison Ford. It was pretty spot on for an adaptation of the book and very family friendly. "The Call of the Wild" was my favorite book in middle school, and it was interesting to see a cleaned up version of it on the big screen. The CGI animals were initially off putting, but one gets used to it. I'd probably give it a 3 out of 4 stars. I do have my gripes about the thematic narrative of the movie adaptation, but overall, it followed pretty closely to the book (minus the graphic violence).
NASRUNA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by NASRUNA »

The last film I saw was "The Call of the Wild" starring Harrison Ford. It was pretty spot on for an adaptation of the book and very family friendly. "The Call of the Wild" was my favorite book in middle school, and it was interesting to see a cleaned up version of it on the big screen. The CGI animals were initially off putting, but one gets used to it. I'd probably give it a 3 out of 4 stars. I do have my gripes about the thematic narrative of the movie adaptation, but overall, it followed pretty closely to the book (minus the graphic violence).
I'm actually relieved to read your testimony. I was really afraid the CGI animals were going to ruin the entire thing.
I wish studios would actually go back to training animals LOL
evemartian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by evemartian »

The last movie I saw was Frozen 2, and I absolutely loved it!
8/10, only cause not all of the songs were my fav but this definitely rates higher than Frozen 1 for me.
ahmaria
Currently Reading: Beloved
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahmaria.html
Latest Review: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by ahmaria »

The last movie I watched was "The Platform." It's a new Netflix original (dubbed adaptation from a Spanish-speaking country) that received a lot of hype. I would rate the film a 6. While it had amazing commentary on class, human nature, and violence, I think that the plot was a bit too simplistic for my taste. I also felt like the characters were very bare. (Also, it's a pet peeve of mine when the sub and dub are mismatched, and that was a HUGE issue for this movie. I noticed that happens a lot with films/shows originally in Spanish.)
ahmaria
Currently Reading: Beloved
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahmaria.html
Latest Review: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by ahmaria »

Reina275 wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 20:30 I just watched Knives Out. I would say is the typical thing that you chose to see when you don´t have anything more to see, sadly. I heard all good things about it but I don´t agree at all. They mix drama and comedy but it is nothing fun about it and you get bored before half of the movie. I would rate it 4/10. :ugeek2: :(
I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy the film! Personally, I think the first half of the movie leans more towards the comedy side and the second half is where the mystery/suspense really picks up. So if it wasn't your taste in the beginning, see if you can skip a bit and then enjoy the thriller. The cast gives great performances and they only become more entertaining the more that they play off of each other. (I've already watched it twice!)

Return to “Films and Books”