Which do you prefer, Original classics or Remakes?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Re: Which do you prefer, Original classics or Remakes?

Post by Morgan Jones »

Origianl seems to always be better than a remake. I don't know the reason for it but I am yet to stumble upon a remake that's just overall better than the original movie.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Moonlight91
Currently Reading: Serial K Returns
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moonlight91 »

This is a hard question and the boring answer for me is: It depends.

Nowadays the film industry has a lot of cool ways to tell the stories with CGI and 3D cameras. Sometimes they rely on the tools too much though. I didn't like "Ghost in the Shell" for example. The original movies were much better.

I enjoyed watching the old movie Westworld is based on and I recommend it! It didn't age well, but it is very interesting to see how they created the robots.

Old Disney movies will always have a special place in my heart and I am going to show them to my kids someday. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the live action remakes though. 8)
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I think it depends on the film or book.

Sometimes the film cannot match the book due to limits, censorship or special effects, and it takes major changes, such as advances in technology, so that the film can more accurately reflect the book. The early monster films had some great makeup effects, but not all of them are, e.g. Lon Chaney Jr. as the Wolfman; more recent werewolf films can use a mix of practical and CGI to make the transformation much more effective.

Sometimes the need to 'update' a book can backfire though. Adding too many details or changing so much that it veers wildly from the book can alienate fans. Death takes a Holiday is a great dramatic play about death and humanity; the original movie is dramatic and has a quiet menacy; it got remade into a movie called Meet Joe Black in the 1990s that didn't use those same themes or add in new questions about quality of life or how humans should help each other. I really did not understand what the main character learned about humans during the movie.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

It varies. Sometimes when it is an old movie the visuals and effects need updating so I always welcome a remake for that opportunity but sometimes the quality of the movie's visuals and effects is upped and the storyline suffers which is frustrating.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

There's nothing like the original... And classic. :wink:
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

Original classics, for sure! There's always an internal groan when I hear of a new remake coming out soon.
arinjerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by arinjerry »

it depend the original and remake sometime the original will be intresting while the remake will not be ike the original and sometimes more ideas are added to make the remake intresting
arinjerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by arinjerry »

remake as in the case of movies like spider man.the movie was more interesting than the original
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

arinjerry wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 01:40 it depend the original and remake sometime the original will be intresting while the remake will not be ike the original and sometimes more ideas are added to make the remake intresting
This was literally exactly what I was about to say. I like remakes when they add something interesting that the original didn't offer and improve upon the original in some way. I think remakes that exist to be carbon copies of the original classics are incredibly insulting to the original material. If you're going to remake something, do something different and unique with the source material.
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

I usually prefer originals. I'm trying to think of one remake that was better than the original, and right now I got...nuthin'. If you usually prefer originals, why? I think it's because the remakes always try to do something unique, something different, and that backfires. Perhaps, too, it's because a particular actor just nailed the role in the original, and the actor in the remake doesn't have the same charm, for lack of a better word. The remake of The Flight of the Phoenix comes to mind. Giovanni Ribisi is a good actor, but he just doesn't pull off the role of Dorfmann like Hardy Kruger.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

It's rare for the remake to be better, but what helps it is the time span between it and the original. What's been hinted at is whether or not a remake needs to update the film to a modern audience. Certainly a silent film remade with sound or sometimes a black and white film remade in color can do well, but today, there are too many movies remade where the original isn't that old and still holds up - ie. it doesn't feel dated.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

If we're talking about black and white vs. colorized versions, it depends which one I saw first. I know Rope was originally black and white, but the version I saw was the colorized one, and I can't get my head around the original monochrome ;)
braithwaite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by braithwaite »

I preffer the orignal
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

I think remakes turn the originals into something amazing and they are also well-crafted than the originals. So, I prefer remakes.
sam_jennifer_may
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jennifer-may.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sam_jennifer_may »

My preference really depends on each film. I generally prefer remakes of originals from 1950s/1960s, but I think for most films you can’t beat the original. I also think it really depends on which you see first. I find that once I’ve seen an actor play a role/character I find it very hard to watch anyone else take on the role.

Return to “Films and Books”