Sherlock Holmes TV and Movie Adaptations

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Sherlock Holmes TV and Movie Adaptations

Post by KRay93 »

Undoubtedly, the novels of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his most famous character have had tens of adaptations throughout history. Of all of them, which one do you like the most and why?

In my case, I've sporadically seen some of the Jeremy Brett ones, but obviously my generation is more associated with the Guy Ritchie movies and the current BBC series. I liked the performances of Downey Jr. and Cumberbatch alike, both Law and Freeman fitting their Watson according to the tone of their respective adaptations (a kind of comic relief role, at times). I'm very open with the subject of adaptations: the important thing is to keep the spirit of the novels and their characters. I really liked Sherlock Holmes from Guy Ritchie, particularly the way the Victorian atmosphere was handled, even if there were too many "action" moments (also a consequence of the demands of modern audiences), although its "original" plot was fine; I also loved Hans Zimmer's score. The BBC series Sherlock and its modern approach also seemed appropriate enought, some episodes in particular (A Scandal in Belgravia and The Reichenbach Fall) among the best I've seen. I've also seen some episodes of Elementary: it's not bad for the classical 24-episode plus "mystery of the week" format, and it's worth a shot switching certain characters' genders for a change.
Nicola Bigwood
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Assassin's Fate (Fitz and the Fool #3)</a>
Currently Reading: Britain By the Book
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicola-bigwood.html
Latest Review: The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by Nicola Bigwood »

This is a difficult question!

I love the Guy Ritchie films and the BBC series: the pairing of RDJ/Jude Law and Cumberbatch/Freeman work so well in both cases. The Guy Ritchie films are obviously more in keeping with the original Victorian period of the novels; but I do love the modernisation of the BBC version and the often subtle inclusion (usually with a twist) of many of the less well-known stories.

I like the premise of Elementary: the gender-switching is certainly an interesting take, and their approach to Moriarty and Adler was very clever, but it didn't pull me in the way the BBC's Sherlock did.

Sherlock's soundtrack has some powerful tracks (particularly the sweeping "Sherlocked") but Hans Zimmer's theme to Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes is amazing!
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

I really wish we'd gotten more of the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movies, they were such fun. I bounced pretty hard off of the BBC Sherlock, personally. Too mean-spirited for my tastes. I preferred Elementary (though it drags on too long). Lucy Liu makes a surprisingly good Watson, and Moriarty was very original and put a new spin on that whole rivalry/relationship that I enjoyed.
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I love the Guy Ritchie movies with RDJ and Jude Law since they stay more to the original feel with how the Victorian era goes. Another movie would be fantastic and it looks like it is possible since I saw an article about it here https://www.moviefone.com/2018/03/09/ro ... -holmes-3/, so hopefully, we get one before 2020. I wonder what case will be covered in the third movie?

As for BBC's Sherlock, I really enjoy the modern take on the series. Benedict Cumberbatch delivers each line perfectly, but I bet there's a reel around with all the mistakes that have been made and they're more than likely hilarious. I have seen the show multiple times and yes it can get a bit dramatic at times, but that's what I love especially with the dynamic between Sherlock and John. I have seen every season, including the special The Abominable Bride and I, am looking forward to the next season when it comes out. Hopefully, fans calm down a little bit because if Martin Freeman has his way, it might not happen https://hellogiggles.com/news/sherlock- ... n-anymore/.

Personally, I refuse to watch Elementary. Changing the gender of Watson just seems to add a plot device that makes the stories have a different feel. I understand wanting to have more women involved, but it would have been better if they had a similar thing going with a medical examiner or something else to that effect. Of course, if someone wants to watch it that's fine with me.

Has anyone seen Disney's The Great Mouse Detective? I really enjoyed it as a kid and still enjoy watching it as an adult. Having the villain played by the late Vincent Price and giving him a singing number makes it even better. If you haven't seen this movie adaptation, I recommend that you watch the 1986 trailer here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aEr0kOQNU.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
KRay93

Post by KRay93 »

Honeybeetle wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 20:05 I really wish we'd gotten more of the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movies, they were such fun.
According to RDJ, the third one still stands. It's still rumored that it will be released before the end of the decade, but who knows...
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

I liked the Guy Ritchie version, and Law's Watson was the best compared to the books. However, I don't feel RDJ's Holmes really fits the character. It's fun, the way he plays him, but those movies seem more about action than the brain power and genius of Holmes himself, which is the point of the books in my opinion.

The real gem is the BBC show. I can't conceive of any version better than that one. Anything that's not directly related to the storyline (and a lot that is) is a reference to the books, basically. And it's a million times better if you've read the books beforehand. I find new references every time I watch it ("Hey, that quote's from The Yellow Face!" "He does that in The Blue Carbuncle!"). It's amazing - the writers are truly geniuses.
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
j-rojas2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by j-rojas2018 »

The BBC Version is the best by far..
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

To be honest, I’ve never got along with Sherlock Holmes with his ‘ah yes, you have red mud on your trousers which means you’ve been down Something Street where the water pipes are overflowing.’ Good job the water pipes were overflowing, otherwise he wouldn’t have a clue where he’d just been. I haven’t liked any adaptations, though I do have a soft spot for the Basil Rathbone black and whites.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Thank you for sharing such a very interesting point of view!
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

For me, it's definitely BBC's Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman
KRay93

Post by KRay93 »

It seems that this time they are going for real. The third installment of Guy Ritchie's Sherlock films has been confirmed for 2020, with both Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law reprising their roles as Holmes and Watson.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/rober ... 202802265/
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Yeah I thought it was really good Robert Downey Jr did a wonderful job as usual. It hope they continue the series.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

The one that stuck with me was the BBC series with Benedict Cumberbatch. That was the one that held my attention for the longest
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

holsam_87 wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 21:43 Has anyone seen Disney's The Great Mouse Detective? I really enjoyed it as a kid and still enjoy watching it as an adult. Having the villain played by the late Vincent Price and giving him a singing number makes it even better. If you haven't seen this movie adaptation, I recommend that you watch the 1986 trailer here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aEr0kOQNU.
The Great Mouse Detective, gosh, did I obsess over this as a kid!! I just wanted a Basil for myself! :tiphat:

I've only seen Sherlock from the 1950s, which I've always liked because it's all I've ever known. I've said I would watch the others, butI haven't. I must, I will.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip&rsquo;s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

TaaraLynn wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 16:47
holsam_87 wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 21:43 Has anyone seen Disney's The Great Mouse Detective? I really enjoyed it as a kid and still enjoy watching it as an adult. Having the villain played by the late Vincent Price and giving him a singing number makes it even better. If you haven't seen this movie adaptation, I recommend that you watch the 1986 trailer here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aEr0kOQNU.
The Great Mouse Detective, gosh, did I obsess over this as a kid!! I just wanted a Basil for myself! :tiphat:

I've only seen Sherlock from the 1950s, which I've always liked because it's all I've ever known. I've said I would watch the others, butI haven't. I must, I will.
Great Mouse Detective is a really underrated Disney movie. If anyone has Spotify, look up the songs performed by Vincent Price in the movie - "The World's Greatest Criminal Mind" in particular. Price is clearly having fun playing Professor Ratigan.

The Jeremy Brett series is my favorite; he looks so much like the original Sidney Paget drawings it is eerie, the way he physically acts emphasizing Holmes' physical skills as a skilled boxer as well as how he would push himself while solving cases, and how Holmes relates to Watson,especially how Holmes did care about Watson more as time went on. The sets and costumes are also beautiful.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:

Return to “Films and Books”