Marvel or DC?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Marvel or DC?

Post by R-Myra »

Marvel ANYTIME. DC comics are well written but they are not able to portray the characters well on screen.
-R
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I am a continuity junkie. So, I am all in for the Marvel ride. The Marvel universe is filled with stories crossing through all of their properties, from the big screen to the streaming one, which makes it a lot of fun to get involved. The inside jokes and references to past events and the appearance of Stan Lee is a major plus! :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

R-Myra wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 11:52 Marvel ANYTIME. DC comics are well written but they are not able to portray the characters well on screen.
Same here. It doesn't even seem like Marvel intends to stop anytime soon. The upcoming roster for Marvel looks unimaginably 'scary.'
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Samy Lax wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 12:04 I am a continuity junkie. So, I am all in for the Marvel ride. The Marvel universe is filled with stories crossing through all of their properties, from the big screen to the streaming one, which makes it a lot of fun to get involved. The inside jokes and references to past events and the appearance of Stan Lee is a major plus! :)
Don't you just love the inclusion of Stan Lee as a watcher? Also, Kevin Feige is a genius in creating this universe.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Andrewprax0629
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Andrewprax0629 »

I definitely prefer Marvel movies over DC movies, even though I am I DC fanboy. The marvel movies are just a lot better than DC movies with the exception of the dark knight and Wonder Woman. The Marvel movies aren’t rushed into any specific storylines and characters. It took Marvel 18 movies I think before they got to Thanos and Infinity War. DC on the other hand introduced batman, the death of superman, and doomsday after one other movie. Then almost right after that before the solo movies for the core members of the justice league they release it which made it a major flop.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

I love the idea of the MCU multiverse over the New 52 and Infinite Earth concepts of DC. The MCU multiverse is simpler to understand.
― Charles William Eliot
Ace Cold

Post by Ace Cold »

I'm a huge comic collector and reader! As far as the comics are concerned, they're pretty equal, but I have more subscriptions for Marvel titles. For movies, Marvel movies are loads better than any DC movie. The DC movies try too hard and they always feel rushed. That's not to say Marvel has extremely well written movies. Because they don't. The issues with movies on either side is they try to cover too much source material in a 2.5 hour timeslot and spread themselves thin or too thick.

That being said, my favorite Marvel movie wasn't even "really" a Marvel movie because it is Deadpool and Marvel lost the cinematic rights to Deadpool (and the X-Men/Fantastic Four) back in the 90s when the company was going under. Deadpool was amazing and actually did a good job at capturing his character and personality.

I think my favorite official Marvel movie is either Ant-Man or Spider-Man: Homecoming. Honestly, the Ant-Man comics were terrible, so this movie pleasantly surprised me. And I was hesitant about Spidey because Tom Holland is so young (my age), but he did a great job. And he was the first Peter Parker who was actually pretty much age appropriate! Not to mention how hard he worked for that role. (Being cute definitely helps, too. I am a girl, afterall.)

The shows on both sides are far superior to their movie counterparts. Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and the Punisher are my absolute favorite Marvel series. Legends of Tomorrow and The Flash were my favorite for DC, but after the first season of each, they just got too boring. The DC shows start off strong and fizzle out after season 1.

The worst DC movie is, by far, Suicide Squad. The cinematic style was just too... Weird. But not the good kind of weird that the characters should have made it. I was so excited about seeing it in theaters. That was the last DC movie i went out to see. And will probably remain that way. The original Spider-Man, no matter how much I adore it, will probably have one of the worst movies in its series for the rest of existence: Spider-Man 3.

That movie was the stuff of nightmares.

DC has Captain Cold though. And he is the love of my life </3
Angelica Haynes

Post by Angelica Haynes »

I would prefer Marvel anything like would be something I would no doubt about it read it!!!!
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Marvel characters all the waaaaaay! They're much more interesting i guess than DC characters.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
tvess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by tvess »

I think Marvel has done a much better job in movies. They've managed a good balance of serious and fun. I see Ragnarok as an attempt to push Thor movies more toward the fun end, which is something I think they could benefit from, but it went too far in some areas. DC seems to be catching on in some areas, but they tend to be too serious. Wonder Woman, for instance, was a wonderful movie that I saw multiple times, but it really set Diana up to be a solo-movie hero, with one serious and interesting movie. The Marvel movies feel more like one event naturally leads to another and the characters interacting doesn't feel forced (usually, Age of Ultron did some terrible work).

DC seems to have them beat in terms of TV. They've set themselves up mostly on one platform and worked to slowly develop interactions between characters. Marvel has split themselves up and tried to maintain everything at once, each piece can be great or terrible on its own but none of them encourage interest in other works. I also think DC's animated works were great in terms of serious-but-fun, Teen Titans was my favorite show for a while and the old Batman cartoons were great.

As for comics, I haven't had as much opportunity to read DC. It's so easy to just sign up for Marvel Unlimited, especially during one of their free months, and DC has no equivalent.
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

It’s Marvel all the way for me, comics and movies. Wonder Woman is the only thing good that DC has managed in a good long time. In my opinion, Marvel clearly has their finger on the pulse of the comic fandom.
Zilelabelle

Post by Zilelabelle »

tvess wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 09:10
DC seems to have them beat in terms of TV. They've set themselves up mostly on one platform and worked to slowly develop interactions between characters. Marvel has split themselves up and tried to maintain everything at once, each piece can be great or terrible on its own but none of them encourage interest in other works.
I’m forced to agree with you here. I feel like, in tv shows at least, Marvel spreads itself too thin. I wanted to like Shield. I love the characters, but the plot just keeps letting me down. And I thought Daredevil season one was brilliant, but season 2 left me feeling meh. I loved Luke Cage and want more, even though I’m afraid they’ll mess it up. And for the love of little green apples, could they just scrap anything having to do with Danny Rand and his pathetic portrayal of the annoying Immortal Iron Fist? That would be great, thanks :)
Zilelabelle

Post by Zilelabelle »

ayoomisope wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 18:45 I love the idea of the MCU multiverse over the New 52 and Infinite Earth concepts of DC. The MCU multiverse is simpler to understand.
I know, right? It’s so hard to drop into the DC ‘verse. I’ve tried a few times, and while I like some of the series (Red Robin ftw!) it just was impossible to figure out where to start, or where to go next.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Zilelabelle wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 12:42
ayoomisope wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 18:45 I love the idea of the MCU multiverse over the New 52 and Infinite Earth concepts of DC. The MCU multiverse is simpler to understand.
I know, right? It’s so hard to drop into the DC ‘verse. I’ve tried a few times, and while I like some of the series (Red Robin ftw!) it just was impossible to figure out where to start, or where to go next.
One way to try to make some sense of it though is to check out a YouTube channel called Comicsexplained. The creator, Rob, goes in depth into DC and Marvel comics chronologically and in the simplest way I can imagine.
― Charles William Eliot
Zilelabelle

Post by Zilelabelle »

I’m on it, thanks!

Return to “Films and Books”