Marvel or DC?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Marvel or DC?

Post by Kathryn Price »

I was surprised there wasn't a topic about this already. Which comic book movies do you like better, Marvel or DC? Why or why not? Do you read comics? Which movies of your chosen category do you think were done best or worst?

My personal pick is Marvel all the way. Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy wasn't bad, but I hated Batman vs Superman and I haven't seen Wonder Woman or Justice League. I have not read comics before, but I am thinking about getting into them because I like Marvel's characters so much. My favorite Marvel movies are The Avengers and Captain America: Civil War. However, I think Thor: Ragnarok was terrible and shouldn't have been made as a comedy.

What do you guys think? Do you agree with me?
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

I really love the Marvel characters. I have not read the comics either but my favourite is Loki, the anti-hero, who later turn helpful, for his own sake, I think. Thor: Ragnarok was a good flick, and there were some hilarious scenes. In fact, I liked the comedy. That part where Hulk slams Thor inside the fighting ring, and Loki finds it hilarious, it was quite amusing.
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Marvel for sure. I don't really know why, but I've never been able to get into the Batman and Superman movies. Maybe it's because I never watched the cartoons or read the comics as a kid. I've loved just about everything Marvel has done, movie-wise, since Iron Man. I can't help it - I melt for Robert Downey, Jr. <3
Secnirp
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Secnirp »

You mean the Marvel Avengers characters? Yeah, I love them all. I've seen them in movies. I like Thor's hammer.
Emma13
Currently Reading: The Captive Mind
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma13.html
Latest Review: A Slice Of Chile by Dr Terry Hannan

Post by Emma13 »

The DC comics are far better than the Marvel ones but that doesn't generally seem to translate to the big screen. The Nolan Batman films are kinda separate from the rest of the DC universe and nothing that they've done since comes close.

I think my problem is that I like the darker side of the superhero world, which isn't really as prominent in the Marvel films. I LOVED Logan but the Avengers films are a bit meh. Give me pain and misery every time!
rejtastic81
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 45

Post by rejtastic81 »

I loooove Marvel, and all of it's characters. Though I don't read the comics as well, and only watch the movie versions, which are accordingly -different from the comics series because of ownership issues, I love how each characters build each other.

Regarding Thor: Ragnarok, it's actually great! Because from there, we knew what happened to Hulk who sacrificed himself in The Avengers: Age of Ultron. I mean, they were having a good thing with Black Widow, and he has to disappear in a darned spaceship! And it also paved for the knowledge that Thor has an elder "villain" sister (so Loki's not alone anymore).

On the other hand, I like DC. Hmmm, I just... well, they should really build the characters first, like Aquaman or the flash. Because some people don't read comics, and it's really hard to understand where the characters are coming from without the audience having a strong background about their history.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I'm not a comics person and never really watched any superhero movies, but my bf is a big comics fan. I've listened to many rants about how much better Marvel is than DC. He's dragged me to many movies and I have to say the DC ones don't even compare to Marvel. I loved the Batman trilogy with Christian Bale but other than that they DC movies all seem to be jumbled, confusing, and dull. They try to recapture the bleakness of that Batman trilogy without any of the interesting character development.

Just an outsider's opinion!!
pauldigo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pauldigo »

marvel all the way, best movies best comics best heros or iconic heros and their movies always gets critical acclaim. So marvel all the way.
AJMcD
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajmcd.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by AJMcD »

Marvel all the way, the latest Thor movie was amazing.
Ndifrekedem
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Ndifrekedem »

Definitely Marvel. Thor movie had me smiling all through
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I prefer Marvel without a doubt. They have the better actors, directors, plots and just about everything.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I seriously love DC. In recent years, Marvel has made an epic comeback but...

Bruce. Wayne.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Yung Senpai
Favorite Book: Lolita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Yung Senpai »

DC. Most Marvel characters are ripoff from DC ones, and DC has Batman with its incredible gallery of villains and Gotham which is almost a living entity by itself so much that spawned that TV show.

Cinema wise, Marvel is better lately, but the Dark Knight trilogy is still the best superhero movie ever made.
The pain I feel now is the happiness I had before, that's the deal. - C.S Lewis
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Marvel comics are so so boring compared to DC comics most of the time. Its inverted when it comes to the film though!
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

I grew up reading comics when Marvel was top of the tree, although I did read some DC. I used to follow authors and artists, so when the big exodus from Marvel to DC happened (Jim Shooter was editor in chief for those who remember) I did read a lot more DC.
Movie wise, I think Marvel have done better than DC, apart from the Nolan Batman trilogy. The X-Men movies have been good overall as well, although not Marvel authorised.
The Avengers was always my favourite comic book, so I judged the first movie harshly, and was over the moon at how good it was. It was everything I could have hoped for.

Return to “Films and Books”