Does Watching of Movies Affect Reading books

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Re: Does Watching of Movies Affect Reading books

Post by aby johnson »

Of course it matters. After watching a movie no matter how much i try, my imaginative mind keeps on going back to the movie scenes when i read the book. This makes me kind of frustrated and annoyed with myself. So I try and avoid watching movies based on books generally.
PriyankaBeeput
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankabeeput.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by PriyankaBeeput »

Yeah, I think it does. I feel like the less time and energy is needed to consume visual stories and therefore makes watching movies a whole lot more accessible than reading books, that's not to say that books are either an inferior or superior medium, I just think these two mediums offer different approaches to story telling and the one that is more accessible will attract more people
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

Well i ususally avoid movies that i want to read the books of, but thats not because it will hinder me somehow, but i feel like it will be a waist of time to watch something that is not even gonna be half as good as the book. But I usually read fantasy genre books. If someone is more intrested in books that have a more informative nature maybe the visual aids of the movie will help them remember the details better, as oppossed to just seeing it in a paper. With modern tecnology rapidly advancing this will probably become an issue if books are discarted as useless, but on the other hand like i said, this way we would maximise the leves of our learning ability. Nothing is set in stone no stydies have shown indisputable evidence so I quess it could go either way.
DominikaS
Favorite Book: Picasso At The Lapin Agile
Currently Reading: Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominikas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by DominikaS »

I'd say it does because then you know what is going to happen. And then when different things happen from the film to the book it won't make sense to the reader. Reading books before the film is best in my opinion.
MrsTurner2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsturner2013.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by MrsTurner2013 »

Yes, I believe the rise in watching movies has had a negative effect on reading books. I believe this is true because there seems to be a lack of wanting to learn. People are interested in being told what the answers are instead of taking the time to figure it out. In my opinion, that is the difference between watching movies and reading books. When one watches a movie, they are told how to perceive what they are being shown. When one reads a book, they are taking the time and energy to keep the mind intrigued enough to follow the plot and to form an opinion.

Watching movies has an advantage for certain people. If someone has a hard time with reading comprehension, watching a movie about the book can help the comprehension. I feel, for the people with such a problem, reading still has many benefits and should not be replaced with "just" watching the movie.

I believe in order to diminish the rise in watching movies and bring back the want to read books we need to bring back the intrigue of learning. If people are expecting to be given the answer without having to work for it, they are less likely to read a book in order to learn.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

This is a highly subjective topic. It really depends on people if they even want to balance this out. For readers, movies will have to do a good job of adapting the book so that not much is left out. For people who watch movies more, it is difficult to get them reading because either they don't have time for it, or reading can take much of your energy. To put it simply, watching movies is easier.
Honestly, I prefer a good combination of both. Films are great for visualization but books allow you to put your own spin on that visualization.
Georgephilips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgephilips.html
Latest Review: Finding Jehovah by Azrael Levi

Post by Georgephilips »

Nwoko Solomon Ikechu wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 15:19 Do You think (Watching) Movies (Visual stories) have Affected the Rate of Reading books?

Most people prefer watching a story/novel and other books (may be historical books) being acted or displayed in or as a movie to reading the story or book on paper. To me, this has in a way affected reading interest rate, especially in Africa. Do you think watching movies have affected reading books? If yes, how do we carry the two (watching movies and reading books) along?

-- 09 Aug 2017, 15:21 --
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu wrote:Do You think (Watching) Movies (Visual stories) have Affected the Rate of Reading books?

Most people prefer watching a story/novel and other books (may be historical books) being acted or displayed in or as a movie to reading the story or book on paper. To me, this has in a way affected reading interest rate, especially in Africa. Do you think watching movies have affected reading books? If yes, how do we carry the two (watching movies and reading books) along?
Its simple! Matter of preference one could prefer watching movies while another would prefer reading. Watching movies hasn't really done anything in my opinion
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

It does for me in that I see the characters in the book as the actors that portrayed them. It’s hard to picture them as anyone else after I’ve already been given a visual representation.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

Yes it actually does, i prefer watching a movie to reading it
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

Personally, I always read the book first. Honestly, the movies are never up to the high standards the books have. Books are so detailed and you cannot capture all of those in a movie. Many movies are wonderful, but the books will always prevail for me.
fridamadrid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fridamadrid.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by fridamadrid »

I think it has, but I also believe that the interest in reading has decreased because of many other elements of life nowadays.
Lately, we are in a rush to do everything, I feel like we're obsessed with speed. We have so many things that we have to or want to do and there's just not enough time. Watching movies is faster, so we do that instead of reading.

And I don't mean everyone does this, but I think it happens to a lot of us.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Most of the time, YES...unless I forget what I watched. I like to think about the physical features of a character as well as the world being described in the book. Most of the time, the film just ruins it.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Joshua Onubogu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joshua Onubogu »

I don't think technology is the problem,because you can download a pdf on Google and read a book.Sometimes people are lazy to read a book in the first place and now for Someone who has been bombarded with the constant noise of television shows and drama to read a book in a quiet setting would be hard .I think society as whole should instil a reading culture so that people read to just read no ulterior motives.Movies offer somethings books don't and books offer somethings that a movie can't and although watching Telvision shows is bit of a passive exercise that numb brain cells, I think a varied amount of time watching movies and reading books would better stimulate our brain .We should have mindset that can value and appreciate the cultural impact both the reading of books and the watching of movies give us without shaming the other form of creative expression
TheGloryoftheCobolds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TheGloryoftheCobolds »

For me it does, as it can give a more concrete idea of the feelings, and can engage one beyond mere prose. I remember I developed more of an appreciation for the Harry Potter series after the first two movies came out. In fact, I remember the first movie made the first book seem a bit more scary.
Abdo Sonbol
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading: The Da Vinci Code
Bookshelf Size: 32
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by Abdo Sonbol »

Each of us has his own way of enjoying and you may find someone who prefers the read novel to the book, and if it wasn't for different tastes, the goods would have spoiled.

Return to “Films and Books”