Age Inconsistency in Casting

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Age Inconsistency in Casting

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Some cast looks older than they really are, and some are the opposite.
I read Lily Collins' memoir and she wrote that she was rejected in many roles due to her youthful look.
On the other hand, Alexandra Daddario pulled it off as Annabeth Chase when she was, like, almost twice the age of the character. Even the older Thomas Brodie Sangster looked cute as Newt in The Maze Runner.
I also consider the superb acting and vibes we get from certain actors or actresses.
While I was a bit disappointed about Katniss, I later understood why they cast Lawrence.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
FJCJ55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by FJCJ55 »

If there is a description and they look the part, I dont mind it. I have a problem if they obviously look old as hell and shouldn't be playing teenagers. Mind you, there are teenagers who look old sometimes. I guess they need representation too hahahaha
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Don't care if it works. I care more about their performance and place in the story, rather than their age. It usually doesn't play a huge part in most stories.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I understand that there are legal problems with casting underage actors but while casting for teenagers the age should not go above 19.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

It depends on the situation. Take moaning myrtle from HP. With the correct makeup, she looked sufficiently young enough. But sometimes, it's debatable.
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

DEFINITELY!! its very weird seeing these buff 25 year old men play 16 year olds in netflix shows. its not as uncommon as u think it is. it sets unrealistic standards for these 16 year olds, making them think they should look like that.

also is super weird when they cast a 16 year old girl and have her love interest, who is 16 years old in canon but be casted by a 20+ year old.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

Yes, in my opinion, it does make a difference. When a book we've read falls short of our expectations, it's both upsetting and discouraging. Teen novels necessitate a game of teeanagers.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

It can also be jarring when an adult character is played by an actor of a visibly different age. For example, the 1991 movie "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" cast Sean Connery as King Richard the Lion-Hearted. Connery was around 60 at the time. King Richard died when he was around 40 years old.
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

Sometimes older people can pass for teenagers in movies so I don't mind that. But when they are obviously not even close to the age they are playing I could see the problem. But when watching a movie or TV show I don't really focus on the ages unless it is really obvious. It makes sense though because usually young actors are not as experienced as their older counter parts. So if it is between good acting and of age characters, I would pick good acting.
laughandread7
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laughandread7.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by laughandread7 »

Personally, I don't care about it. As long as the acting is good and the character traits are the same in both the book and the movie, I don't mind how old the actor is.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

In Game of Thrones, apparently, Daenerys was supposed to be much younger. In her early teens. But that would have been too graphic for the camera.
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

Because of a number of factors. For instance casting teenagers disrupts their education as a lot of time is taken during shooting and they hardly would have time for themselves. This occured while shooting the Harry Potter series, with Emma Watson's parents almost pulling her out of the film during the latter end of the series.
Jordan Abio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-abio.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jordan Abio »

I don't have a problem with adult actors portraying teenage characters as long as they are in their early twenties. I think that at this age they still could very much look like teenagers making the character's age believable.

Return to “Films and Books”