Vampire Diaries

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Vampire Diaries

Post by Felicity Granger »

The books and TV how are vastly different. Not just with the plot but the character descriptions and a whole lot of things. I find the film adaptation to be a little more interesting, it's more dramatic, suspenseful, and the energy of the cast just draws you in. The books were okay but if not for the existence of the TV show I don't think I would have sat and read them.
mrnobody3
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrnobody3.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mrnobody3 »

No I don't follow this show unfortunately because I feel this show is similar to Twilight, two guys love a same woman, not sure about the plot tho but I don't think this romance vampire thing is my cup of tea.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

I was so disappointed with how both the TV show and the series ended.

The books are now ghost-written and republished, something which I definitely don't support and has ruined the integrity of the story itself.

The TV series was really good initially. But then it got super repetitive. The fact that Nina Dobrev (Elena, Katherine, etc.) left made absolutely no sense to me, so I stopped watching; I think it should've ended much sooner.
Mattisse6891
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mattisse6891 »

I didn't like the book I thought it was boring and crummy but the movie was awesome wish there where more series didnt like the way it ended. :lol:
ShayM08
Currently Reading: The Sound of Spring
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaym08.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by ShayM08 »

I'm pretty obsessed with TVD. I've seen the whole tv series multiple times and I read the first volume of the book series simply to compare to the show.

While the book is clearly the foundation for such an amazing tv series, there were a lot of changes and I believe they were for the best. I think a lot of them wwre necessary because of the gap between the books having been published and the show starting. There were things that were irrelevant to the 2000s in the book and needed to be changed in order to reach the current generation.

Also, Elena was not very likable in the books. They made a very good call with how they represent her in the show. She's a much more sympathetic character.

And now to fangirl.... I am totally Team Damon! I love Stefan, don't get me wrong, but Damon is my kind of guy. He has so much more depth and it's much more rewarding as an audience member to see his true self shone through. Stefan is a sweet guy, but he's a bit more of. a flat character. He's interesting sure, but not as riveting as Damon.

All in all, this may be my favorite "just for fun" tv series to watch.
skelley805

Post by skelley805 »

I have watched the whole show and personally I liked it a lot. The director had to kill Elena because the actress, Nina Dobrev, didn't want to play the role anymore because she was in her 20's and she was tired of playing a teenager, she wanted a more mature role. I have also been watching The Originals and I like that show as well. They even made a spin off of that which is The Legacies which is my personal favorite. You get to see more of Hope Mikaelson after The Originals.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I actually like the TV show more than the book. The characters kept changing, but the story line was still kept interesting nonetheless. I've actually watched The Originals and Legacies, spin-offs of the main series, and am quite surprised that the writers have managed to come up with so many new ideas and tie them in creatively with the plot.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

I haven't read the books but I have watched the tv series! I have to admit that it's one of my all time faves. I'm not sure though if the series actually follows through the books.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I only saw the show, and not all of the seasons. It got repetitive and I lost interest.
The first few seasons were good, though. But, I don't think I would've enjoyed the books.
I was only hooked because of the acting.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

I watched the show first and then read the books. The characters are described as looking different than the actors that play them so it's a little of a shock, but a great read.
Rayy_a

Post by Rayy_a »

I binge watched The vampire diaries n it’s sooo good...worth the time I spent on it ...would recommend you all to finish the whole series as we learn a lot from it n it’s one of the best series I’ve watched
Onyinyechi123

Post by Onyinyechi123 »

I watched the TV series but have not the book,I never knew there was a book about vampire diaries, I love the movie but the ending was so bad,I never like the ending because it make me sad, but it was a great movie
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

I’ve only watched the series, but I would be curious to read the books. I did really like the show and thought everyone portrayed their characters really well. It’s an interesting show, so I’m sure I’d like the books!
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

I loved the show. I haven't read the books and they are not in my list.
Amna Khalid
Kanika Tandon
Currently Reading: Of winners and losers
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanika-tandon.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kanika Tandon »

I have seen all the eight parts of the Vampire Dairies. Later I came to know about the books. I don't know if I would ever read them. For me, the show was good enough. Infact, I love Klaus so much that for his sake, I watched The Originals. Now I guess The legacies is on the cards.

Return to “Films and Books”