Did you cry during the Book/Movie?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Re: Did you cry during the Book/Movie?

Post by Zimall »

I do cry while reading books and yeah some emotional movie scenes make me cry but its reading that cause a lot of crying.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

At HP and the Deathly Hallows when they showed Snape's memory, I cried both while reading the book and watching the movie.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
xuqt2006
Currently Reading: RoseBlood
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xuqt2006.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by xuqt2006 »

All the time..... If I cry over the book, then it is an almost certainty I will cry in the movie. The Fault in Our Stars is a perfect example. I cried through both the book and movie. The last two Harry Potter books and movies. I cry about everything though so I may not be the best judge of what is cry-worthy.
msbarclay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msbarclay.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by msbarclay »

Merrill Markoe's, Walking in Circles Before Lying Down, made me cry. Basically, any good book or movie with animals involved, will get the water works flowing for me.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

I rarely cry over a book as my emotions are more tempered and controlled when it comes to written communication. But movies have a way to make me shed tears. For example, I always watch Schindler's List in private because the ending always makes me cry a bit.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

Fault In Our Stars: both the movie and the book made me cry tons. P.S. I love you made me cry for weeks.
r_bhavika
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Favorite Book: Slammed
Currently Reading: The Sun is Also a Star
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-bhavika.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by r_bhavika »

Yes! While reading, The Thousand Boy Kisses by Tillie Cole and Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. Tears were streaming down my face like waterfall. I'm was a emotional wreck.
VandaQ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandaq.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by VandaQ »

The book that comes to mind is The Great Gatsby - and the movie as well. I cried worse at the book than the movie, though haha It's just so heartbreaking... But brilliant book AND movie!
sharon8910
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon8910.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by sharon8910 »

There's this book in my country, called Blanca Olmedo, I was 7 when I started reading it but being a kid that didn't quite much understood what was going on in there I left it for a while. When I was 11 I finally finished reading it and I don't know if I could fully grasp on the depth of the reading because it was a tragic-romance novel, but I cried at that time, like really big sad tears lol... Over time I come back and read that book at least once every year and I guess that one has become my favorite book.
lilac_coquelicot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by lilac_coquelicot »

Emotions are very important for me.I cry on emotional touch or story while reading or watching
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

for me it was the old classic where the red fern grows. to be honest i threw the book when i read it as a young girl,that's how upset it made me, and i really don't know how i pulled myself together to even watch the movie knowing what was coming but I did it.
kyri45
Currently Reading: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by kyri45 »

I actually cry a lot more while reading than when I'm whatching a movie. Probably because I can imagine however i like the scene and add the music that i think fits best, and it create a kind of atmosphere that makes just everything more personal and intimate. When you're reading and you can sense that a certain emotional scene is coming, you start to read more slowly and carefully, something you can't do while whatching a movie.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Aw man, I've noticed that I cry more from reading books than actually watching the scene based of the book. Maybe the reason behind that is, when reading, my mind is portraying everything in HD. Every scream, cry, and fierce hug is just magnified and when I read those scenes I just feel closer to it and the characters. I once read this story about a Lord and his Lady and he had just revealed his hopeful ending to his plan that would lead to his death. I didn't bawl, but I felt so hurt by this - by his voice. In my head he sounded broken and tired of fighting for those who hate him and I just held my kindle so close to my chest as I was hugging him.

Where as with movies, I suppose seeing it separates me a little from their struggle. I can watch a movie with blood and gore and not blink, but reading about the same things makes nervous and anxious to see how my hero will survive. Its pretty rare for me to cry from a movie scene like the death of a beloved character or watching someone have a meltdown after losing something invaluable to them.
tazdevil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tazdevil.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by tazdevil »

JessieMarie84 wrote: 14 Dec 2016, 21:59 Fault In Our Stars was the only book I cried while reading only to turn around and cry during the movie even though I knew what would happen.
OMG I literally cried while both reading and watching the movie. It was that good and sad.
The journey of a lifetime starts with the turning of a page. ~Rachel Anders
missemilyhelen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by missemilyhelen »

So, I’m definitely a person who does not hold back when it comes to becoming attached to fictional characters. That being said, I’ve cried during more shows, movies, and books than I should admit. My empathy is a gift and a curse.

One book/movie combo that hit me ‘right in the feels” was “The Hunger Games.” This book was the first to really bring to tears over a character’s death. All three books and 4 movies made me cry at least once.

Return to “Films and Books”