Harry Potter

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
mrnobody3
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrnobody3.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Harry Potter

Post by mrnobody3 »

Harry potter is the best fantasy movie franchise that I have ever watched. No matter how many times repeat watching it, I would never get tired of it. But I have always preferred the books more because the characters are more well-written compare to the movie. There are many events in the book are not included in the movie. However, I enjoyed both the movie and books.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I have seen all the Harry Potter movies and I'm a big fan although I have not read the books, I wish to read them ASAP, and yes I have seen fantastic beasts too.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
love_queeny
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by love_queeny »

Ok so i have read and watch harry potter many times, and i have to say im underwelmed. The movies do not match the books very well but the books were great. :D
The details of the books were not captchered in the movies. But i digress i still love the movies and the books. Im not saying they were bad im just saying they could have been better. :)
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I've read most of the books and watched both of the Fantastic Beasts movies. However, I've never watched the movies for the main story. I think books are always better because they have more detail, and sometimes your own imagination beats the movie screen. Movie producers have limitations, but your imagination has no limits.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

The Harry Potter books were one of my earlier reads and I waited patiently for the rest of the movies when they were still in the production stages. For the most part, the films and the books share the same basic outline and deviate very little if at all. Except you get so much background and key things you wouldn't know from watching the movies, namely the development of Ginny's and Harry's relationship, are explained in detail in the book.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I was in elementary school when I started reading Harry Potter, at the same period the 5th or 6th Harry Potter movie had just come out. My OCD side often had the feeling that I should have started reading either before any of the movie came out or after all the movie came out haha. But the story was too good to be postponed.
Deepa09k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa09k.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Deepa09k »

I keep re-reading the Harry Potter books as soon as I complete the seventh one. Having said that, there are scenes from the movies which sometimes I enjoyed more.
But alas, The Cursed Child spoiled the fun for me and I don't consider it a part of the original canon. And so does the Fantastic Beasts series. :(
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

The Virgo Speaks wrote: 06 Dec 2016, 23:03 This may be against the rules of the nerd association (of which I am a proud member), but I have seen every single Harry Potter movie an extensive amount of times and have never read any of the books. I plan to do so, however, before I die. I also plan on reading Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them by J. K. Rowling before i see the movie.
You should absolutely read the books! I still reread them (probably way too much) and even around ten or fifteen years later after first discovering the series I still love it. Maybe you could be audiobooks a try? The Stephen Fry versions are great
brttnybest
Currently Reading: Children of Time
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by brttnybest »

I love the Harry Potter series but the books really are way better. The movies leave out a lot, however they do capture the atmosphere of the books. I think the last two movies (the 7th book) were the closest to the book.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

I want to read the fantastic beasts series too. I would not like to watch the movies before that :)
Edna016
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Edna016 »

I remeber at one point that I watched all the Harry Potter movies. I think at that time though, I skipped through some scenes just because. I believe I've only read the first book. Someday , I know that I will read all the books and then I will most likely watch all the movies again.
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

I have read all of the books and watched all of the movies after. The movies are great, but I prefer the books. In my opinion, the books had more details than the movies.
“𝓞𝓷𝓮 𝓶𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓪𝓵𝔀𝓪𝔂𝓼 𝓫𝓮 𝓬𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓫𝓸𝓸𝓴𝓼, 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝔀𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓲𝓼 𝓲𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓭𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓶, 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓭𝓼 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓹𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓸 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮 𝓾𝓼.”
― 𝓒𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓪 𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮, (𝓒𝓵𝓸𝓬𝓴𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓴 𝓐𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓵)
Mo Ronald
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mo Ronald »

I read all of Harry potter books and watch the movies, in my opinion I prefer the books, first because in the book you have everything you understand everything and you get open to characters and the movies because of the book.
MilaThegoddess
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milathegoddess.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by MilaThegoddess »

Same. I’ve literally seen the movies quite a few times and I absolutely loved them !! But I’ve never read any of the books. I would love to but I just haven’t really gotten around to it. I’m not sure if I’m still a fan of J.K. Rowling at the moment though...
keiyoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keiyoshi.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by keiyoshi »

I think watching the movie first before reading the book was really a good choice! Reading the book will actually make you love the series more as it provides more depth to the story. Rowling's book on Fantastic Beasts is actually just a textbook that provided the descriptions for the beasts used in the movie. Therefore, the movie is not based on any independent Fantastic Beasts book, unlike the HP series.

Return to “Films and Books”