Fantastic beasts J.K. Rowling

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Desert Rose Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desert-rose-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Fantastic beasts J.K. Rowling

Post by Desert Rose Reviews »

I haven't read the book, but I have seen the movie. It was just ok. I can't really connect it in my mind to the rest of the movies - it just doesn't feel the same. On it's own, it was a decent story, but I was hoping for a bit more out of it. They are supposedly making more, so maybe they will get better?
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
BookWormMommy
Currently Reading: The Chemist
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormmommy.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by BookWormMommy »

I didn't read the book, but saw the movie and wasn't a big fan. I LOVE all the Harry Potter movies and cannot count how many times I have seen them, but I probably won't watch this one again. I will say my husband is also a Harry Potter fan and he really enjoyed the movie, so to each their own!
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Zahid ali
Currently Reading: Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Zahid ali »

I haven't read the book too but i have a copy of the book waiting for me to read. As far as i know, the book and movie doesn't really relevant, the book is about the fantastic beasts and movie (what i understand from the trailers) is based on a man with a suit case full of with these beasts.
I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter series and right now i'm counting days 'till the day it's out. Wish i could just speed up time to 18 November.
Beyaz
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

just watched the movie, I was expecting a lot from it. however, its rather boring.
I hope the book is better. peace for the fans.
aldith
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aldith »

I want the book first. Going to be reading this before I watch the movie
Cheyennedement

Post by Cheyennedement »

I absolutely love the book but I haven't seen the movie yet.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

Awful adaptation and movie imo. The random muggle strung along was stupid imo, and I hate how they barely used monsters from the original text book
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Megan Old
Bookshelf Size: 56

Post by Megan Old »

The book was just basically a list of beasts in the wizarding world (with Harry and Ron's funny and entertaining scribbles and commentaries). But in the movie, they tried to create a story around it. I was so giddy when I heard that they'll make a movie out of it and that Eddie Redmayne's will act as the protagonist. And that Johnny Depp was there as well as (spoiler alert) Grindelwald. I felt like Depp is the perfect Grindelwald judging on his previous films.
Kreaushikrin

Post by Kreaushikrin »

I loved everything about the movie. Well played. The book will definitely be on my reading list.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I haven't read it . But I did watch movie. And trust me I was very disappointed
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

You wrote this post a long time ago now, so you may already see there's a big difference between the book and movie, but I'll answer anyway for people who still have this question.

The book is basically written like a school text book menagerie of beasts and animals and how to recognize, subdue, and safely capture them if necessary. It has the added touch of Harry, Ron, and other characters' notes that are often off topic just like kids do in their own school books. It's cute and entertaining, but there's no story to speak of.

On the other hand, the movie is a completely new story set in 1920's NY starring the author of the text book and will at some point show him publishing that book I would assume. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was because the text book gave no clues as to what the story or characters would be like. The movie's script was also released and this is basically like reading a play of the film with set and character descriptions and deleted scenes. It will spoil the entire film if you read it first, but it's your choice. :)
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I've read the book and seen the movie.

The book is interesting but there's no story. So it's really not comparable to the movie.

The movie was just okay. I didn't really feel a connection to any of the characters, at least in the same way as the other HP movies. It's unfair since I was allowed that connection with Harry, Ron, Hermione and co. with some of the books being released before the movies, but I just expected to feel that connection again. I also felt like the American magical world was pretty lame in comparison with the British one. But that's just my opinion! I also thought they relied way too much on CGI (which is understandable but took away from the storytelling). That being said, I absolutely adored the nifflers.
elderwand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 565

Post by elderwand »

i haven't read the book, but the movie was ok. The movie doesn't feel the same without Harry though :(
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I read the book, and it's not really a story. It's about all the different creatures that wizards have that we don't. The film is about the author of this book and is fantastic.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I read the book years ago and I couldnt see how they could possibly make it into a movie. But now I see that it worked,though I havent watched it yet.

Return to “Films and Books”