Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children movie yes or no?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Steff716
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children movie yes or

Post by Steff716 »

Loved all books in the series not sure if I'm going to see the movies ... lived all the pics in the books and the story behind how Riggs came up with the idea
naniminna
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naniminna.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by naniminna »

I have not read the book. That being said, I found the movie to be enjoyable, although creepy for my tastes. Of course everything Tim Burton has released in the last 10 years has totally creeped me out in one way or another. Having not read the book, I felt that some scenes were extremely corny or stupid. Like the romance between the main character and the girl with the air peculiarity. I had a difficult time swallowing the relationship because it felt forced. Maybe that's an acting problem, but it was just strange. Based off the movie, I did have the desire to read the book. Perhaps I will pick it up one of these days. It is interesting to know that Olive and Emma's peculiarities were switched. So does that mean Emma was supposed to be fire and Olive air? Hm.
NosilaBenn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nosilabenn.html

Post by NosilaBenn »

I read the first two books and absolutely loved them. I'm waiting for the third one to come out in paperback before I buy it just to save a little money. I went to see the movie a couple weeks ago and let me tell you, it was a huge mistake. I'm pretty sure they tried cramming all three books into one movie, which was a bummer for me becuse I was not aware of that when going to see it and now I know what happens in the final book. Also I agree, I didn't like that they changed Emma and Olive's peculiararities. There were a few interesting parts of the movie, but overall, I wouldn't recommend it.
Jynny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jynny.html

Post by Jynny »

I have read all the books and then went to see the film. I REALLY loved the books, they are so special and lovely written that I was really excited for the film. When I heard Tim Burton would be the director I was even more excited, because he seemed like the perfect candidate. It seems like I was wrong. I think the film was really good made with the special effect and the realisation of the persons, but the story was completely different. Especially that ending! Although the film is well made the story bothers me really much which is why im so disappointed
sgirl58
Currently Reading: Damaged
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sgirl58.html

Post by sgirl58 »

I wanted to see the movie since I loved all 3 of the books but now that you said he switched the characters I am not sure if I want to.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I read the books and went and watched the movies. I am personally a huge fan of Tim Burton. I didn't like that he swapped the two peculiarities but I liked the way the film rolled. I was not anticipating him cramming all 3 books into one film. That i was upset about. The ending was different than the books, but it fit for the movie better. There was so much lost from book two that it was a little confusing. Overall rating I'd give for the movie would be a 4. It was an excellent film but wasn't firm on the books. I loved the actress whi played Miss Peregrine though.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
sgirl58
Currently Reading: Damaged
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sgirl58.html

Post by sgirl58 »

Who played Miss Peregrine?
Jbondal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbondal.html

Post by Jbondal »

I am a fan of tim burton and did not know it was based on books! Im going to check them out now
Denise16
Currently Reading: Somebody Love Me
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Denise16 »

Hmmm. I've always wanted to see the movie, but I think I might read the books first. Didn't know changes were made to some of the characters though. Don't know if I like that.
VLD
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by VLD »

I have read the books and absolutely love them. I also love Tim Burtons work, but I have not seen the movie yet. I am one who likes to read books and see what Hollywood does with the story as they turn it into a motion picture. I am planning on seeing it even though things have been changed, I hope that it is well worth it.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I enjoyed Miss Peregrine's Home as a stand-alone movie, but was disappointed that Olive and Emma were switched, as far as their abilities. I didn't see any point in doing that in the movie- it would make more sense if it was left as in the book. Also, Ms. Peregrine was a younger woman in the movie versus an old one in the book. The Hollows were creepy and scary, and I like those quite a bit. That said, I did enjoy the movie, but I liked the books a whole lot better. I think Burton should have been more true to the books.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Book_Lover_32

Post by Book_Lover_32 »

I did not like the book. I cant imagine the book to be any better.
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Sounds just like Burton to create a character just so he can work with a particular actor!

I would watch the move when it became free or on netflix, but I would probably prefer the books as I do every time a book is made into a movie.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
aimlessreader
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimlessreader.html

Post by aimlessreader »

The movie was pretty good. I read the book back when it came out, so I was a little fuzzy on some of the details, but they changed a lot of things from the book because I don't think they intended to make a sequel, or maybe they weren't sure how well it would be perceived. So they changed quite a bit so that they could wrap things up nicely, but left room for a sequel. However, it did have some plot holes in regard to time and traveling between continents (I don't want to spoil anything for people who haven't seen it).
If you don't mind it not staying straight to the book you'll probably like it.
My friend hadn't read the books and she loved the movie.
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Post by rovet »

I was all excited to watch the movie, but now I am not so sure now that I know that Tim Burton switched big stuff like the peculiarities. Emma's peculiarity is so central to her character. And I am not even that big of a Tim Burton fan to begin with, so... I probably will still watch the movie, but wait for it to be free.
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Return to “Films and Books”