Would You Choose To Never See The Film?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Thebooknerd24
Bookshelf Size: 14

Would You Choose To Never See The Film?

Post by Thebooknerd24 »

This year I have gone back and read more books in which I saw the movie first and it got me thinking about the film vs. the book. Almost all book lovers will say after seeing the movie version that the book was better and it almost always is. I started to wonder if seeing the movie was even worth it anymore because more often than not I walk out of the theater feeling a little dissapointed with how the director took the film. I've been considering making a promise to myself (silly as that sounds) to never see the movie version. This decision was solidified when I saw the previews for "The Longest Ride" and could already tell through the previews alone that the movie got the story line all wrong and the actress they chose for the female lead was all wrong. The book allows you to think up your own ideas on how the characters look like and movies always get it wrong and they take away from it. I apologize for the long rant but I have been disappointed too many times.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

There have been some that I have done this with, really just because the book was so great to me that I'm afriad the movie will ruin it. There are just some things that should be left alone.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
suzieheichou
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by suzieheichou »

I couldn't agree more. I saw so many movies after books and not even half of them was good enough. I personally think that books are much better, as you said, you can imagine how the charactes look, how the scenery looks... it's all in your head. there're no limits for imagination, which is great.
Thebooknerd24

Post by Thebooknerd24 »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! Don't get me wrong sometimes it can be fun to compare the movie and the book but there is this indescribable feeling of sadness almost when you walk out of the theater thinking, "That wasn't even close!"
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

I'm a reader, so I can do without the films. I write the best films from my point of view, and the real films only disappoint.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Thebooknerd24

Post by Thebooknerd24 »

Yeah I am truly half tempted to give up on any film adaptions all together unless I discovered a movie that was actually close to the book. I thought The Hunger Games movies were actually very close to the movies did anyone else think so?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Books that are violently graphic I can handle, but not in movie form, so those I skip.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
pinstar
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts (Unpublished Old Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by pinstar »

Well I wish I could unsee a few films that were books, I just have no self control so I don't think j could ever just promise myself not to watch movies that are based on books I really like even if they look like they will be terrible. .
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I typically do see the movie when it comes out, but always read the book first. I have learned to try to accept the movie as a completely different entity from the book, so I am not constantly comparing. However, using Game of Thrones as an example, since the television series is now further along than the books (and I don't know when the next book will every be out), I am relying on the TV series to find out what happens.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

Knowing that movie adaptions generally ruins the book, i still tend to watch them out of curiosity. I'm curious how the characters and scenes in the books will play out on the big screen.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
A111698

Post by A111698 »

I almost always opt out of seeing the movies of books I've read just because I know they're nowhere near how I pictured things in the book.
rockymountain24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rockymountain24.html

Post by rockymountain24 »

I wish I heeded the warnings and never watched the Eragon movie. The book series is one of my favorites, and I've never seen a movie that had done just one book SO much wrong.
fari30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I watched Divergent but decided that I won't be watching Insurgent or Allegiant, especially because I was already over the franchise when the movie for Insurgent came out. I'm also apprehensive about watching The Maze Runner but Dylan O'Brien is in it and I could be convinced.
My weekend is all booked!
arunadawn
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arunadawn.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by arunadawn »

I like to watch the movies. Even if they are horrible. Its like a game for my husband and I and a few of my friends. We then debate what made the movie bad/good or what did we feel was missing.
Ann2305
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann2305.html

Post by Ann2305 »

I am almost always disappointed in the movie! I sometimes wonder if the scriptwriter has read the book or just the blurb and went "right, i think i've got this". We fall in love with these characters and i feel personally attacked if the writers don't do them justice. I spend 90% of the movie yelling at the screen

Return to “Films and Books”