Book Elena or Tv Elena Gilbert?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Kjdominque
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjdominque.html

Re: Book Elena or Tv Elena Gilbert?

Post by Kjdominque »

I try not to compare book characters with their film counterparts. I try to view them as two completely separate things otherwise I would constantly be infuriated by the mistakes that the directors make when casting the actors to portray my favourite fictional characters.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Mack3224 wrote: 09 Aug 2016, 11:41 Both Elenas were awful in my opinion. TV Elena was always crying and seemed to only care about herself. She treated her friends like crap and yet still had two, hot brothers chasing her. Sometimes I wondered if they were only interested in her for her looks. Then there's book Elena. She wasn't much better. She was the most popular girl in school and she got the hottest, most sought after guy. What message does that send to readers? That Elena was perect. She was always depicted as so flawless that it got on my nerves.
My opinion exactly. I haven't read the books but the tv Elena is very annoying. When she was human she was depleted as weak and she always required rescuing. She became a vampire and the same thing kept happening. She is very selfish and likes to play the victim. I wonder why she had loyal friends.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

TV Elena Gilbert definitely has more character and wit I love her!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I have read the book and seen a few episodes. I can't help but visualize a different face when I was reading the book.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I haven’t read the books yet but I would probably say Tv Elena her character was so loving and compassionate, she could be confused & make mistakes which just made her more real. I also can’t picture anyone but Nina Dobrev as Elena and Ian Somerholder as Damon. They went great together on the show & their acting really brought out the emotions/conflicts of the characters.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

TV Elena came of as really selfish to me as the seasons progressed. I don't know much about book Elena but if she was as annoying as TV Elena who always needed saving, then I don't like either of them.
ijeoma ugorji
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ijeoma ugorji »

I haven't read the book but TV Elena was great n she took me by surprise when she fell in with demon which was totally awesome cos demon be in love made him a better person.
lara_haelterman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lara-haelterman.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by lara_haelterman »

I haven't read the books. I didn't like the tv series so I didn't think I would enjoy the books.
lildallface
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lildallface »

I need to read the books! Elena was surprisingly one of my least favorite characters in the TV shows. She felt so innocent and naive but I did enjoy her kind heart. I found it to be absurd that she didn't want to be a vampire so that she could be with her love forever. If the love of my life was a vampire, I would turn in a heartbeat. I love Damien, Ian Somerhalder in series. He was and still is my favorite. I find it funny it's married to a Twilight star now too.
spellbindingstories
Currently Reading: Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by spellbindingstories »

I've seen the entire television series, but only read the first two books in the series. In my opinion, TV Elena is far superior to Book Elena. Book Elena always got on my nerves for how entitled she behaved.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

Elena in the books is so shallow and hard to relate to. I liked her TV version much better than the book. She's less impulsive and likable, plus Nina Dobrev seems to just fit that specific role so I prefer Elena onscreen.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I didn't read the book version so I don't know how Elena's character is displayed in the book, but as for the show, can't say Elena made a good first impression, although later on she grew on me so I ended up liking her character.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphne-asir.html
Latest Review: WALK TALL - create your own self-confidence by Ki Is Your Host

Post by daphne_asir »

I prefer the TV show Elena. I found her much easy to follow. I didn't enjoy the books as much as I hoped, unfortunately.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.
Shirley Jackson
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:

Post by daphne_asir »

Atara Miles wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 03:40 Elena in the books is so shallow and hard to relate to. I liked her TV version much better than the book. She's less impulsive and likable, plus Nina Dobrev seems to just fit that specific role so I prefer Elena onscreen.
I completely agree! I started the book series cause I really liked the TV show but couldn't get through the series!
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.
Shirley Jackson
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:

Post by daphne_asir »

spellbindingstories wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 23:06 I've seen the entire television series, but only read the first two books in the series. In my opinion, TV Elena is far superior to Book Elena. Book Elena always got on my nerves for how entitled she behaved.
I thought I was the only one who thought she was that way in the books! I completely agree with you.
Shirley Jackson

Return to “Films and Books”