Most disappointing movie adaptation

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
melel_jo
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melel-jo.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Re: Most disappointing movie adaptation

Post by melel_jo »

The newest Wrinkle In Time was such poor adaptation. The pacing was off, and they omitted scenes and dialogue that were very needed to explain the plot (plus the omission of the Jesus metaphor in a story that is one big Jesus metaphor).

I found the last Harry Potter (#8) disappointing as well. I didn't get the same sense of closure from the film as I did from the book.
tirionmorganna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tirionmorganna.html
Latest Review: Confessions of a Manaholic by P. Pierre

Post by tirionmorganna »

Sarah Clay wrote: 20 Jul 2015, 19:16 The Mortal Instruments and Percy Jackson. Absolutely terrible.
I agree with the TMI film, however it is nowhere as bad as the TV adaptation.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

A Series of Unfortunate Events.

They tried to cram like the first handful of books in the series into the movie, unsuccessfully. Would be better as a trilogy. I mean I love Jim Carrey but he was not an accurate representation of Count Olaf. Olaf is a very snide, creepy, greasy man that we should be very afraid of... He is ridiculous but not in a comedic way.[/color
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Cash-Centered Creep wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 08:03 My personal choice is the 2013 adaptation of The Great Gatsby with Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire. Very disappointing. Felt that the film lacked the substance that made the book as 'great' as it was.
Agreed! It accurately captured the dazzle of the book, but it was almost too dreamy. It should have made viewers feel that tense mystery like the book did.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Omohobhio wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 10:58 Confession of a Shopaholic. The movie was whack compared to the book. The writer is really good.
Thank you for that feedback. My favorite series. I read all of the books and I was considering watching the movie but now I know to be wary. :o
navyapindi
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 234

Post by navyapindi »

The movie that most disappointed me is 'Half Girlfriend'. The book was way better.
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

Twilight and the Mortal Instruments.
xjulirenae
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by xjulirenae »

Eragon. It has such great potential to be an amazing movie. However, they COMPLETELY butchered it, and it made me sad. When I first watched it, I wasn't able to get through the movie because I was cringing so hard. Everyone who hasn't read the book but seen the movie thinks it was wonderful. I was so sad.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I already mentioned The Dark Tower in some other thread because it's a shadow of Stephen King's series. Queen of the Damned is another movie I found disappointing because it left out all the protagonist's backstory that for me was the most interesting part of the novel.
Ciao :)
Massimo
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I thought the Hobbit movies were very poor and disappointing. I had high hopes because I do think Lord of the Rings were great. Eragon was bad and A Wrinkle in Time could have been much better too.
Tchrjokes456
Currently Reading: Night Angel
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tchrjokes456.html
Latest Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Post by Tchrjokes456 »

I've only skimmed through as many of the answers are the same. However, I hope I don't catch too much flack for this. Even though it's a show and not a movie, I couldn't get past the first half of the first episode of Outlander. It had been way over-sexualized in comparison with the first book. I'm sure it was better had I continued watching, considering its current popularity, but it felt as a if it had been made to sell.
PhyllisAnne
Currently Reading: Into the Wild
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phyllisanne.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by PhyllisAnne »

I agree with a lot of the titles people have thrown out there. I think that Eragon was probably the most disappointing for me because I really loved that book. There was a whole lot of potential there, but they completely blew it in the movie. Divergent was one that I watched the movie before I read the book. I wasn't the biggest fan of it, but it was decent until I read the book. The book wasn't really my cup of tea either but it put a hard stop on me watching any of the other movies in the series because of the rather important discrepancies that I had already marked as inconsistencies in the movie.
~Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality~
Lewis Carroll in Alice in Wonderland
anitamills293
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitamills293.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by anitamills293 »

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (2013) was terrible, but the tv series was more better
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (2013) is really disappointed, the book was better than the movie, which deleted a lot of beautiful parts
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Definitely Mansfield park by Jane Austen movie adaptation.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Srishti Rana
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Srishti Rana »

Fallen series by Lauren kate the book is good the characters are well written but the movie adaption is bizzare and I am thankful that they never made the sequel of the movie it's like they didn't knew what they were doing many important scenes from book were not even filmed and I hated it .

Return to “Films and Books”