Most disappointing movie adaptation

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
lara_haelterman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lara-haelterman.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Most disappointing movie adaptation

Post by lara_haelterman »

Ready Player One. I was expecting a lot of it since it's an adaptation by Steven Spielberg. However, too much was changed in my opinion. Since I read the book right before I saw the movie, I compared everything and found it hard to like the movie. I didn't finish watching it.
Cash-Centered Creep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cash-centered-creep.html
Latest Review: Kill Fannie Mae by Frank Latell

Post by Cash-Centered Creep »

My personal choice is the 2013 adaptation of The Great Gatsby with Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire. Very disappointing. Felt that the film lacked the substance that made the book as 'great' as it was.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

The Golden Compass was amazingly boring as a movie and if I'd never read the book it sure would make me want to pass on it. I often feel a movie doesn't have to reflect ALL of a book that it's based on as long as it is a good MOVIE and makes you interested in the book. The Golden Compass did neither.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Does the movie "The Secret of NIMH II" count. I know the first one was based of the book, "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH," by Robert O'Brien (1970) was a good adaptation - or at least it was in my book, the sequel was just unnecessary and did a complete disservice to the charters. Especially Mrs. Frisby, or rather Mrs. Brisby in the movies, children a disservice.
tazdevil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tazdevil.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by tazdevil »

Am I the only one that either reads the book or watches the movie but never both? I try to not be extremely disappointed and ruin my take on either the book or movie.
The journey of a lifetime starts with the turning of a page. ~Rachel Anders
spellbindingstories
Currently Reading: Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by spellbindingstories »

I was really disappointed by The Darkest Minds movie adaption. It felt like they focused more on CGI than the message of the original story.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

THE PERCY JACKSON SERIES!!!!!!! It could have been wonderful and amazing but ughhhhh it's so disappointing. The books are great though!!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

Ealasaid wrote: 16 May 2015, 06:39 Needful Things by Stephen King. I loved the book, but the movie was awful. I shouldn't have been surprised. The book was so detailed; it's impossible for a movie to capture that. But still, it was really a disappointment.
Agreed! The characters were so much richer in the book
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

The Mists of Avalon which was a TV mini series, not really a movie. Juliana Marguelis was wonderful but it just wasn’t good. But it is the most amazing, beautifully written book and truly deserves a better movie
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Percy Jackson. Seriously, what the hell was that? Even my high school theater director could have done better.
Laarmyartist
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 33
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Laarmyartist »

Can I add the Fantastic Beasts to this as a suggestion? There's too much going on, no real world building anymore and nothing at all from the original short book it is based on!

I'm only partially joking, I really do dislike the new Harry Potter movies.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

The most disappointing movie adaption for me was of Beautiful creature, as the books are really brilliant with a really intense battle scene at the end that they did not effectively convey in the movie. The characters were also a lot better in my head and I honestly would never have picked that male actor, as the main character.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Percy Jackson. The first movie was ok, but the rest were really bad and such a waste of such a brilliant series.
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

Ender's Game the book will always hold a special place in my heart, but the movie disgusted me. It completed missed the point of the novel.
Duvina Grace
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Duvina Grace »

Sarah Clay wrote: 20 Jul 2015, 19:16 The Mortal Instruments and Percy Jackson. Absolutely terrible.
I totally agree. THose two are the worst movie adaptations I've seen. At least the Harry Potter movies have the same storyline.

Return to “Films and Books”