Best book that was made into the worst movie!

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Best book that was made into the worst movie!

Post by Christina Rose »

rssllue wrote:Another one is Cujo. The movie lacked so much of what made the book so appealing when I first read it. It was sometimes very painful to watch.
I didn't mind Cujo so much, but with that particular book I happened to watch the movie first. In those situations, I don't tend to be bothered as much with inconsistencies and such.
Now, with The Running Man, (from when Stephen King was still writing under his pseudonym) I was thoroughly disappointed in the movie.

Another horrible adaptation was The Stepford Wives(2004 film). The novel by Ira Levin wasn't the best, but it wasn't bad either. It was good enough for me to want to see the movie. Now, I haven't seen the original movie from 1975, but I liked the cast in the most recent adaptation, so I chose to watch that one. I think they were trying to just make it funny, where in reality that just ruined the story for me.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

Percy Jackson. I mean i was hoping for it to be successful just like Harry Potter but it didn't! I was so disappointed. I'm waiting for another adaptation, with Heroes of Olympus as well.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
MontyQ
Currently Reading: Kushiel's Dart
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-montyq.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B01AZ7LT20

Post by MontyQ »

The Percy Jackson series; I refuse to acknowledge its movie counterpart.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
KN17488
Currently Reading: A Dog's Purpose
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by KN17488 »

One of the worst ones I would have to say for myself would be the whole Divergent series. I was highly disappointed in the movies and I was in love with the books. The movies just seemed to be getting worse and worse to me. I was quite upset by it.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I know everyone seems to hate Mockingjay, but I personally love that book, and it was just such a shame how they ended the film series. What still angers me is how they butchered the scene where Katniss yells at Buttercup. In the book, it was a tear-jerking moment, but in the film it was just numb.

But the worst atrocity I've seen is Day Watch which is based on Sergei Lukyanenko's fantasy series. The first movie, Night Watch, was okay, though they took some liberties. The second one ... It wasn't just bad, it was a complete and utter mess. It's like someone cut the film with scissors and rearranged the different pieces in no particular order. If I had not read the books I would have zero idea about what's going on.

And also, why is it so hard to make a decent adaptation of Alice in Wonderland. The only two I've ever liked is the Disney one and American Mcgee's video game Alice. The Disney cartoon embraced the story's nonsense and didn't try to attach a plot. Other's, the Tim Burton movie being the latest example, always try to attach some lesson learned or typical fantasy plot that really doesn't fit. The aforementioned video game is the only successful attempt at adding a plot that i've seen.
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

Harmony Hills wrote:Percy Jackson. I mean i was hoping for it to be successful just like Harry Potter but it didn't! I was so disappointed. I'm waiting for another adaptation, with Heroes of Olympus as well.

Yes! I agree! My boyfriend is a huge fan of the series and until now he can't get over the fact that the movie ruined it.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Nyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15126">The Gunslinger</a>
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reading Device: B00746W3HG

Post by Nyuu »

The Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan is such an awesome Saga. As expected , the movie adaptation was worst than anyone could imagine. That was a whole new level of FAIL.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

Dorian Gray was pretty bad. The divergent series as a whole is a hot mess. Never have I ever seen such a horrible adaptation as Allegiant. The first movie was the only good one.
Taniatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taniatt.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Taniatt »

I really liked Eragon - the first book of Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. The movie on the other hand was a disappointment.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

I think "I am number 4". It was not "the worst" but it doesn't do the book any justice. The first book was written by one person and the following books are written by different people and it is MUCH MUCH MUCH better.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Jossy2410
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Jossy2410 »

Romeo and juliet
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

For me, The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown is one of the best books I've read, which turned out horrible in its film adaptation. The pacing of the story should have been pulse-quickening and brain-teasing which the movie couldn't quite capture.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Percy Jackson was butchered. I love the books and they just messed it up. I know I'll get murdered for this but I also hated The Mortal Instruments movie.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

Eragon, I think. Or a Series of Unfortunate Events with Jim Carrey. Or Inkheart. In all cases, I was a devoted fan of the books and left the theater disappointed. At least the Netflix version of A Series of Unfortunate Events does the books justice. I wish Eragon and Inkheart could get another chance but I don't think it's likely.
NSehra
Currently Reading: Cinderella and Colonel
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by NSehra »

Eragon - Inheritance series
The movie let the wonderfully written books down. Even the trailer is a mess.

Return to “Films and Books”