Books made into movies yes or no?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
DesiraeWood1
Currently Reading: Gates to Tangier
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desiraewood1.html

Re: Books made into movies yes or no?

Post by DesiraeWood1 »

I feel the exact same way. I am so picky when it comes to seeing a loved book on the big screen, they have to choose PERFECT actors for the parts and make everything in the movie look like how I imagined it did in my head while I was reading... it's probably safer for them just not to make movies out of the books.
that being said there has been a few movies that I have seen where they did a really good job and it was just like how I imagined, the only problem is, the way I imagine it probably isn't how everyone else does, so while I might love it, others might be disappointed and vise versa.
making a movies adaptation is definitely risky business
Aishah1

Post by Aishah1 »

I like books made into movies. Yes, sometimes the filmmaker changes a few things that I'm usually not too happy with, but the movie makes you feel like you are actually watching the characters.
Mama Ash
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mama-ash.html

Post by Mama Ash »

I see this is an old post but I still want to add my opinion as I am new to this site. I DO NOT think books should be made into movies. There is never a time that people like the movie more than the book. While reading you get to imagine what you want and you are basically making up the images of what the book would be if you were watching this, at least I do, so when a movie is made of the book I feel like there is so much that the movie can't live up to the expectations we have come to feel about the book. Although it defeats the purpose I feel I do like the movie first before the book. For example when the twilight series came out I did not read any of the series and had no intention until the first movie came out. I loved the movie so it made me want to read the book and I love it and read the entire series in, what felt like, no time. Once the other movies came out I hate the movies because I had read the books and I felt like I had already watched a much better version from picturing the book while reading. It seems like every time a book is made into a movie most people are disappointed with it because it's never as good as the book.
KatiRae
Currently Reading: Dragon's Kin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katirae.html
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by KatiRae »

There are times when I literally have to think of the book and the movie as two separate things entirely. Sometimes they can go together, and sometimes they just have the same title. And sometimes they're simply suggestions of each other.

-- 12 Jan 2017, 18:10 --

And I will also say, there has been a time I liked the movie better. A couple actually. We Bought a Zoo was a really fun movie and I like it better than the book, and The Secret of Nimh. ;)

-- 13 Jan 2017, 16:53 --

I remembered another one where the movie blows the book out of the water. The Princess Bride. Trust me.
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren
green4O
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-green4o.html

Post by green4O »

I love books and I love movies. I don't mind books being made into movies as long as the movie turns out good and respects the book that inspired it. The movie doesn't have to be better nor does it have to be exactly as how I imagined the story in the book would be. I just need it to stay true to the vision of the author or at least come close to it.

I loved the Harry Potter movie franchise just as much as I love the Harry Potter book series.

But I hate the 1997 Lolita movie even if I appreciate the book by Vladimir Nabokov. I read the book sympathizing Lolita while I watched the movie seeing Lolita in a negative light instead. Did the director purposely create a different Lolita or did he/she honestly see her in that way while reading the book? If this was the movie creators' attempt to make the audience sympathize with Humbert, then it's utterly unnecessary. Vladimir was able to present Humbert as a disturbingly flawed character that the reader can still sympathize as the main character without demonizing Lolita. The movie just straight up made Humbert into a victim and Lolita, a predator. I dunno, might just be me; but that's how I felt when I watched the movie while facepalming so hard.
Boyko Ovcharov
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Boyko Ovcharov
Favorite Book: The Proximity of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1419
fav_author_id: 33385

Post by Boyko Ovcharov »

Yes, by all means, but again it depends on the story itself, among other things, and last but not least, the potential director.
Sunia_Mukherjee
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunia-mukherjee.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Sunia_Mukherjee »

Yes, it is a great idea to convert a book into movie if the story line is such. A few books of Chetan Bhagat were transformed into books- ''3 mistakes of my life,'' ''2 states'' and they were a great success.
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
Hypertonic

Post by Hypertonic »

I actually liked books that turn into movies. It gives another flavor into the movie industry even if it's not that good compared to books. Nowadays, the story they do is also the same in another film.
SpiderDreamer1

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

It really depends for me. Some books are actually kind of dull and movies bring out the best in them (Jaws). Some succeed in some ways and not in others. And some are just horrible. Though this applies to anything selected for adaptation.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I agree that some books shouldn't be made into movies because it's better to leave it up to the reader's imagination. However, sometimes movies perfectly capture the characters and the emotion. Harry Potter is a good example of books that turned into an amazing set of movies.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

If the books are made into movies, I feel like the writer of the book should be allowed to write the script. That is the only way it may come out semi okay.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
wroteyou

Post by wroteyou »

in general no, thoguth they're better when they're longer.
zerofire2905

Post by zerofire2905 »

It's high time cinema starts creating its own characters and not simply borrowing them from literature.

"Books and movies are like apples and oranges. They are both fruit, but taste completely different." - Stephen King

Ever tried growing oranges from an apple seed? Not very fruitful...
ilovechickens777
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovechickens777.html
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham

Post by ilovechickens777 »

I absolutely agree that movies just ruin the book. Even the classics have been turned into movies that have absolutely ruined them such as The Swiss Family Robinson. The book is just SO much better then the movie.
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham
Sal the Gal
Favorite Author: Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 89">Stig's Flight of Encounters</a>
Currently Reading: Bishop's War
Bookshelf Size: 9
fav_author_id: 64907

Post by Sal the Gal »

Looking forward to see how Robin Gregory's book The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman adapts to the screen. The book has won over 20 awards now. :D

Return to “Films and Books”