Books made into movies yes or no?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Durga MS
Favorite Book: Perfect
Currently Reading: Randy the Irresistible
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durga-ms.html
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller

Re: Books made into movies yes or no?

Post by Durga MS »

I think both. These are two different ways of telling a story and I feel like we should respect both. It does affect me when a movie is a complete let down, for example the Percy Jackson movies. They're a good watch on it's own, but if we've read the books, it's kinda disappointing. Otherwise, I love watching adaptations of books as movies.
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by dennisbragra »

Yes. The movie brings the book to life, unless the butcher it.
Che Sparrowbosa
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-che-sparrowbosa.html
Latest Review: Provoked To Anger by Cheray Gardison

Post by Che Sparrowbosa »

Absolutely not because 9 times out of 10 they ruin it. The movie always leaves out details that are so significant to the reader and to the story line, so for the person watching they can never really understand where certain characters are coming from and why certain decisions were made to achieve that particular ending. So big no for me I always end up upset.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

Few movies are better than the original books. I can only mention a few, including The Godfather, Forrest Gump, Schindler's List, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Some adaptations (like the Percy Jackson series and The Maze Runner) are so terrible that it gets embarrassing.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

I see no problem with this. Sometimes finishing reading a certain book really imparted on my mind for a long period, making me imagine sets of unforgettable events from the story. Making it as a movie is an ideal option and I concur with this.
Sarah Eliza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-eliza.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by Sarah Eliza »

Depends on the book.The ones I grew up watching like Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, Kidnapped, The Swiss Family Robinson, 1984, Sherlock Holmes ect. stayed very true to the source material and literally brought the book to life. I think nowadays the book-to-movie adaptation suffers because the movie makers pick and choose only a few elements and details from the book and then do whatever they want with the rest, like re-writing characters, omitting characters, changing the plot twists, changing a character's motivations, changing the lesson of the story ect.

So yes and no I guess, lol.
mohamed benziane
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohamed-benziane.html
Latest Review: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life by Lewis Kempfer
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by mohamed benziane »

I am definitely for that, it somehow gives faces to the characters other then the ones you imagines, and if the actors are well chosen it's even better, same like the movie a walk to remember, ma favorite
toointofiction
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 512
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toointofiction.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by toointofiction »

I honestly lost a lot of faith in book to movie adaptations, but I still get a little excited when I find out I can see my favorite books on the big screen.
Asfiya Z
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asfiya-z.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Asfiya Z »

Definitely a yes. Takes your imagination into a whole new world with effects of sound and lighting which are absent while reading a book.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

In fact, I can't completely agree, as films have often raised a book on a pedestal and given a different point of view and a strange feeling to the audience. Yes, some should not be ruined by their adapted films, but vice versa.
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

It depends on the type of book. If its a historical, science fiction of fantasy, I always love to see what the writer may have had in mind describing some characters and scenes.
Amanda Bradshaw
Currently Reading: None Like Him
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: Make Me Exist: A Heart-Pounding Sci-Fi Romance (Lost in Time Book 1) by Brittany Ziegler

Post by Amanda Bradshaw »

I always read the book before seeing the movie. Regardless of which book it is. I just always enjoy the book more and don’t want the movie to take away from that. I enjoy the experience of a movie, but tend to end up disappointed with the movie adaptation. I think that’s because we fall so in love with characters or story lines and if it’s left out or altered it feels like an insult in a way.
Mishkah Simons DeVos
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkah-simons-devos.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Mishkah Simons DeVos »

I think it depends on the genre or the book, because what puts me off is that, some films doesn't do the book any justice.
The book sets an expection and I don't think that movies should be made if it can't live up to that expectation.
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

I think books should be turned into shows rather than movies, so no. Theres not enough time for a movie to have the same plot of a 400-600 page novel, which ends up with a lot of the story being cut out.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

There are certain books that I anticiapte to be an official movie. Yet there are some that I’d want to be simply a book and never be a film. It is because some good novels require to be seen as a movie and some lousy books necessitate just to stagnate.

Return to “Films and Books”