Opinion on the Star Wars sequel trilogy?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Opinion on the Star Wars sequel trilogy?

Post by Wesusa »

There's a lot of contention surrounding the new Disney centric sequel trilogy. I personally like Force Awakens and like some aspects of the Last Jedi. What are your thoughts?
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
sabbykitty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabbykitty.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by sabbykitty »

Honestly, I really like them. They're quite visually stunning, and although some of the plot points are not the best, The storytelling overall is really nice.
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

sabbykitty wrote: โ†‘03 Mar 2021, 01:50 Honestly, I really like them. They're quite visually stunning, and although some of the plot points are not the best, The storytelling overall is really nice.
I personally enjoy Force Awakens a lot, but I still prefer the prequels. I don't hate the new movies by any means, but the story is pretty con-jointed at times. I think the spin-off movies were better. I think they are smaller in scale and pretty enjoyable in their nature. Thanks for your response.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Angelica Honeycutt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nirvanasangel.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Angelica Honeycutt »

I watched the first movie, Force Awakens I think it's called. After what happened to Han I couldn't watch the other movies, a little bit of me died inside ๐Ÿ˜ญ But, visually the film was stunning. Could have worked harder on a more interesting storyline, but it was passable.
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

NirvanasAngel wrote: โ†‘03 Mar 2021, 13:08 I watched the first movie, Force Awakens I think it's called. After what happened to Han I couldn't watch the other movies, a little bit of me died inside ๐Ÿ˜ญ But, visually the film was stunning. Could have worked harder on a more interesting storyline, but it was passable.
Personally, while I don't like how he dies, I am fine with the character leaving. I just wish it was done better. I think nearly everyone agrees The Force Awakens is the best one. If they were to depart with him, I wish they had him walking into the sunset and leaving, or going on more adventures with Chewie. Thanks for your response! :tiphat:

EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

I am a big fan of the series, but it is undeniable that the last films are losing in quality. The impression it gives is that the producers are just looking to create commercial films to increase the target audience.
Angelica Honeycutt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nirvanasangel.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Angelica Honeycutt »

Wesusa wrote: โ†‘03 Mar 2021, 19:35
NirvanasAngel wrote: โ†‘03 Mar 2021, 13:08 I watched the first movie, Force Awakens I think it's called. After what happened to Han I couldn't watch the other movies, a little bit of me died inside ๐Ÿ˜ญ But, visually the film was stunning. Could have worked harder on a more interesting storyline, but it was passable.
Personally, while I don't like how he dies, I am fine with the character leaving. I just wish it was done better. I think nearly everyone agrees The Force Awakens is the best one. If they were to depart with him, I wish they had him walking into the sunset and leaving, or going on more adventures with Chewie. Thanks for your response! :tiphat:
That's a good point! I would have felt a lot better if Han went on to live off-screen, like you mentioned above. Definitely would have been less of a shock
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

EternalD wrote: โ†‘05 Mar 2021, 08:34 I am a big fan of the series, but it is undeniable that the last films are losing in quality. The impression it gives is that the producers are just looking to create commercial films to increase the target audience.
That's definitely a sentiment that resides with me. The movies don't feel like they had an artistic vision. It felt more like they just trying to profit off the Star Wars name without knowing what makes it special to so many. Thanks for the comment on the forum! :tiphat:

Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

[/quote]

That's a good point! I would have felt a lot better if Han went on to live off-screen, like you mentioned above. Definitely would have been less of a shock
[/quote]

Thanks! Hope you've found more enjoyment in other Star Wars media such as the Mandalorian and Clone Wars. While I don't like all of the movies, the shows rarely fail me.

Christopher M 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopher-m-1.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Christopher M 1 »

I don't hate them, but I don't love them. As others have mentioned, I think the movies are visually stunning and beautiful to look at. The nostalgia of seeing some of my favorite characters back was very powerful even if I didn't like everything about their stories in this trilogy. I disliked many of the story choices. I would have preferred a different story than a rehash of Empire vs. Rebels 2.0. I just didn't feel like the story moved forward much in those three movies and the ending left off in pretty much the same situation as the end of episode 6 (empire/emperor defeated and the need to rebuild the Jedi order/Republic).
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

Christopher M 1 wrote: โ†‘07 Mar 2021, 23:48 I don't hate them, but I don't love them. As others have mentioned, I think the movies are visually stunning and beautiful to look at. The nostalgia of seeing some of my favorite characters back was very powerful even if I didn't like everything about their stories in this trilogy. I disliked many of the story choices. I would have preferred a different story than a rehash of Empire vs. Rebels 2.0. I just didn't feel like the story moved forward much in those three movies and the ending left off in pretty much the same situation as the end of episode 6 (empire/emperor defeated and the need to rebuild the Jedi order/Republic).
That's very true. The handling of Han was done best, while everyone else was basically butchered in some way. I definitely agree with you on the rehash of old ideas. I dislike Luke's strange decisions that weren't really explained. I think I vastly prefer the prequels. It doesn't destroy any oft he characters and instead gives them more depth than what they originally had. I don't like AOTC but I like the other two. Thanks for commenting on the forum :tiphat:

Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I wish them was never made. Star Wars are now way to over done, it looks like they only care about bring in more money.

Return to โ€œFilms and Booksโ€