Thoughts about Movies about Real Events?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Thoughts about Movies about Real Events?

Post by Wesusa »

I recently saw Fruitvale Station, and while I thought it was a pretty enjoyable movie, it got me thinking. What do you think about books surrounding real-life events and their handling of the facts to create a more coherent film? I read online the movie was a bit loose with the fact sot further service you caring for the character. I think the actors did a good job, but I think the main gripe I had with the movie was the flow of the film. It felt kind of like it would have benefitted from being maybe an hour-long because a few of the errands drag on a bit much. What are your thoughts on Fruitvale and movies about real events?
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I have watched movies about real events and feel that they would help people understand what it is like. Now I do know that movies are being made based on real life or at least I have seen some on it. I looked at the comments on this movies and seen comments based on what I think. Fruitvale is a movie I did not know about into now.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

I have not seen the movie you talk about, Fruitvale Station, but I personally think that movie adaptations of real events are something to be really careful about. If they are well done, they can help spread knowledge and awareness among a larger public; but if they are poorly made, they could have the opposite effect, thus misleading the public and damaging the people/topic they treated.
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sydney Lee »

I haven't seen that movie, but I did watch Hidden Figures recently. I thought that movie was pretty well done, but again, they had to be very careful about the facts, especially around that time since so much important stuff was happening then. But I know there are other movies that aren't as good at be factual, which can be a real downer to figure out. I do enjoy some documentaries though, since you hear what happened from the actual people.

Return to “Films and Books”