The Mortal Instruments: Books or show?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

The Mortal Instruments: Books or show?

Post by slj3988 »

The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, starting with City of Bones, is an acclaimed coming-of-age fantasy series that has been around for a while now. Six books initially were supplemented with a prequel trilogy, two spin-offs, and more recently, a sequel trilogy and a few standalone titles.

As someone who saw the movie years ago, I wasn't a fan. It was too much information to condense into a film and it didn't sell the story for me. Then the Shadowhunters TV show came to Netflix and I thought, "Huh. Why not?"
I went in expecting mediocrity but was pleasantly surprised. Anyone who's into fantasy or romance should check it out if you haven't given it a go yet.

They surpassed the movie in every way. I fell in love with the characters and plot so much that I ordered most of the books and plan to finish the collection. Right now, I've wrapped up season 2 and finally managed to get around to the books.

This post is for fans to chat about it or compare the books with the show. What changes rustled your feathers? What you thought was better? Etc.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Definitely the books.
JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

I may be the only one, but I saw the movie (which was terrible) then the show Shadowhunters, which I enjoyed and only read the books afterwards. The movie was awful, the plot felt forced even though it was based on the book, the characters Jace and Clary had no chemisty and Jace was sullen, I did not think the actor fit the character. I enjoyed the show the sarcastic personality of Jace in the show seemed more accurate.
- The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. —Dr. Seuss
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

The Mortal Instruments was such a serious letdown. The movie was horrible. If they followed through the story, it would have gotten so much interesting. I tried watching the first few episodes of the series but even then I was still disappointed.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

I honestly didn't have that much of a problem with the movie but I'm a very easy person to please when it comes to movies. The TV show I think it had its own set of issues but I can understand why it has such a huge fanbase. The books are just in a league of their own. I love them to pieces.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamela-bianca-mas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00TREI0F2

Post by Pamela Bianca Mas »

The book! I have seen movie adaptations that are ‘okay’ but the book is always better. :wink2:
Pamela Bianca Mas
underthe_cloudyskies
Currently Reading: The Catcher in the Rye
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-underthe-cloudyskies.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by underthe_cloudyskies »

I love the books to the end of the world and they're really amazing with a wholehearted combination of humor, romance and action. When I saw the movie I was severely disappointed by Jace, you know the way Cassandra Claire describes Jace as beautiful and sarcastic and everything a character you fall in love with would include and that's the same with show Jace. He's definitely better but the way instead of having a sarcastically fun relationship with Clary all they have is sweet crying stuff, I have to end up with the books instead.
Mhanlon2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mhanlon2 »

I loved the books from beginning to end. Starting with the Mortal Instrument and the realizing there are prequel and sequel series, I've read them all. I watched the movie but it didn't hit right and I couldn't get into it. Theres so much detail and main points that were missed in the movie and show. Also taking a look at the characters in the movie and show versus the books, there was so much more depth to the characters of the books.
Georgephilips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgephilips.html
Latest Review: Finding Jehovah by Azrael Levi

Post by Georgephilips »

slj3988 wrote: 17 May 2020, 17:30 The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, starting with City of Bones, is an acclaimed coming-of-age fantasy series that has been around for a while now. Six books initially were supplemented with a prequel trilogy, two spin-offs, and more recently, a sequel trilogy and a few standalone titles.

As someone who saw the movie years ago, I wasn't a fan. It was too much information to condense into a film and it didn't sell the story for me. Then the Shadowhunters TV show came to Netflix and I thought, "Huh. Why not?"
I went in expecting mediocrity but was pleasantly surprised. Anyone who's into fantasy or romance should check it out if you haven't given it a go yet.

They surpassed the movie in every way. I fell in love with the characters and plot so much that I ordered most of the books and plan to finish the collection. Right now, I've wrapped up season 2 and finally managed to get around to the books.

This post is for fans to chat about it or compare the books with the show. What changes rustled your feathers? What you thought was better? Etc.
Maybe the movie. Haven't read any of the book
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

The books are awesome. I actually prefer "The Infernal Devices" series that takes place before it though. Awesome books.

The movie was awful. Didn't work at all.

I did love Shadowhunters though. Magnus was awesome. That's all I have to say. I love me some Magnus.
gelsomino sarah

Post by gelsomino sarah »

The Mortal Instruments Series of books is way better than the show and movie! I've read the book series before the show, and the plot of both the show and movie seemed scrambled and random. If people didn't read the books, then watching the movie would be confusing. I recommend the book series! It is an amazing, thrilling, dangerously, love story!
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

Books. 100%. The movie adaptation was not that great, but I wish it had been explored more. In regards to the tv series, it started out dark, and then the writers realized it was attracting more of a younger audience and they changed it up a bit. Was not a fan after that.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I think that despite the show being quite different, I enjoyed it. A show has to include perspectives of all the characters, so they had to build situations for Isabelle and Simon and the other characters whose POV's are not shown in the first book. I think they did this quite well.
Ihara_xox

Post by Ihara_xox »

The shadow hunter series was the best series I have read in my whole life. But the movie was terrible
Afrah Erfan
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afrah-erfan.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Post by Afrah Erfan »

Honestly, I saw the movie first and felt like there must be something more to this. That's when I planned to read the books. And it was like a whole different level.
The Netflix series if I say did 80 percent justice to the Books. But the movie would be a big NO from me.

Return to “Films and Books”