Angelina Jolie in Maleficent 1 and 2

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Mheaddg1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Angelina Jolie in Maleficent 1 and 2

Post by Mheaddg1 »

I thought Jolie was exceptional in both adaptations of the film Maleficent. I think her character in the second film was really reprised as she adapted a sort of newer and better version of herself as the Phoenix. Michele Pfiffer was amazing as per usual, and she added a great depth of meaning to the character in the second film. I wish they would have delved a little more into the history of her character which would've enhanced why she despised the “evil queen” for as long as she did. The scope of the story really helped the audience to seek out the true meaning behind her ways as they saw fit.
TnTuandMe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TnTuandMe »

Angelina Jolie played and good part in the film. The story line really surprised me. It was a definite twist to the sleeping beauty story I heard as a child. I liked the fact that in the first story the true love's kiss was from Maleficent -vs- the prince. It brings to the front that love doesn't necessarily happen at first sight. Maleficent's love grew over time as she watched her grow. In the 2nd story of Maleficent, I appreciated the fact that there were more than just her. I would have liked a little more history and background regarding Maleficent origins.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

I agree. Her role only got better with the second movie and she did such a good job.
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

I like both Maleficent 1 and 2, it's a twist of what the usual Sleeping Beauty story is. For me, Angelina Jolie is the best suited role as Maleficent. It is unusual how the villain becomes the main protagonist of the story and it's what makes these the best Sleeping Beauty adaptations so far. I wonder if there would be a Part 3 of this? What twist would they add?
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I think this was an amazing movie for her. She was great at acting in this and the plot in general was amazing.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Angelina Jolie just nailed her character.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

Angelina Jolie did an impeccable job of bringing a human side in Maleficent. She should have received an Oscar for her role in this film.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

She is a perfect casting for Maleficent! She beautifully depicts the character’s progression through the two movies and I believe she improves the movies as a whole.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

I could not imagine anyone else playing Maleficent. Angelina Jolie really gave life to her character. Throughout the two movies, they were really going for Maleficent's character development and squashing the prejudice of her always being the villain.
MilaThegoddess
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milathegoddess.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by MilaThegoddess »

I think she was absolutely phenomenal! I’m not really into Disney movies (not sure if it is one?) but I quite like Maleficent and I love that they used her daughter on the first one because all the other child actors were to afraid of her face makeup!
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

Maleficient was a master piece for me. From the costume to the production and then Angelina Jolie's character. She definitely nailed it!
fridamadrid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fridamadrid.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by fridamadrid »

she was fantastic, she really portraits Maleficent as a whole new character, but still keeps the essence of the original one from the movie. I love her.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

TnTuandMe wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 17:53 Angelina Jolie played and good part in the film. The story line really surprised me. It was a definite twist to the sleeping beauty story I heard as a child. I liked the fact that in the first story the true love's kiss was from Maleficent -vs- the prince. It brings to the front that love doesn't necessarily happen at first sight. Maleficent's love grew over time as she watched her grow.
Completely agree with you on this. Maleficent has more depth and meaning to the Sleeping beauty tale we heard as kids.
This was more mature I'd say yet relatable across ages(makes sense?)
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

loved the maleficent movie, one of my favs and the casting for maleficent was great
Mishkah Simons DeVos
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkah-simons-devos.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Mishkah Simons DeVos »

Angelina Jolie is such an amazing actress and it's always good to see actor's performs even better in the sequel. She played her role so well and I enjoyed seeing a more vulnerable side to Maleficent when she was with her kind.

Return to “Films and Books”