Are you a big fan of Disney movies and why?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Are you a big fan of Disney movies and why?

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

For me, I absolutely LOVE Disney movies! Some of the new remakes are okay, but I feel that some of them should never have existed. I am a fan of old and animated Disney movies.

My favorite old-time movie is Beauty and the Beast. I love how Belle was able to see through the obvious faults in the Beast and love him regardless. I feel that true love works exactly like this in real-life relationships. If you can't accept and work through the faults in your significant other, then there is no true love in that relationship.

Aladdin is my favorite live-action Disney remake. I was worried that Will Smith would destroy Robin William's charm in the remake, but I feel that he added onto Robin's character! Will Smith himself even posted on social media that he had large shoes to fill and that he wanted to make Robin proud. I can say that Will did an excellent job making Robin proud and the music that he sang in Aladdin was catchy!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I am a big fan of the older movies that I grew up watching. I haven't been a big fan of the remake love-action versions, unfortunately!
Halima Lawan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ummiii.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Halima Lawan »

I am also a big fan of old Disney animations. The live-action versions not so much.
Chirlerona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chirlerona.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: What's Heartfulness? by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Chirlerona »

I have mainly watched Disney movies with my daughter, we both like them a lot, but I think we must be watching them from different perspectives. I can see that the recent movies really celebrate female characters, giving them more and more power and personality, but for my daughter it comes naturally, that's how she is growing up, so she is just enjoying the story line.
sschatzberg
Favorite Book: Before the Storm
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 46

Post by sschatzberg »

I love Disney films. My only strife has been the new live action remakes. Some are carbon copies of the original film and some plan on turning the original on its head. I think remakes should have the essence of the first but add more to it. It shouldn't just redo or mock the original. Classic Disney will always be the best.
LSVENTER
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LSVENTER »

I absolutely love the old Disney movies. I feel like the re-makes have taken away the very magic, that those kinds of movies held for me as a child. They try to make it too realistic, or the movie is worse than the original, which just ruins the memory forever. I think that people are short of ideas and try to imitate something that could never be re-created.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I really enjoyed the Disney movies of the 90s and early 2000s. Now that I am older and do not have any children, I haven't seen any of the newer films.
nana7613
Favorite Book: The Cat in the Hat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nana7613.html
Latest Review: A Life Naive by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by nana7613 »

Disney movies rocked my childhood. Not a big fan of the remakes either.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I love love love Disney movies - They are such old friends to me.

The original Lion is my all time favorite, but I also love The Nightmare Before Christmas, Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, Lady and the Tramp, Aladdin, and The Fox and the Hound.

Since I am a create of nostalgia, I do like the remakes, although I concede that they are no where as good as the originals. Particularly the new Lion King was really good. I guess for me it doesn't take away from the originals.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I loved the 1997 Cinderella movie. It had an okay soundtrack, as well as a racially diverse cast that gave me hernia when I tried to work out genes and other stuff I probably should not have been thinking about when watching the movie. It's also ridiculously funny and lighthearted.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I don’t think there will ever be a time when I don’t love Disney movies. The classics are the best but they have been making so amazing new ones as well. Moana was great, but my all time favourite is Sleeping Beauty and Aladdin.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I grew up living pretty close to Disneyland, so even though I haven't watch as many Disney films as an adult, I have stayed a Disney-fanatic and go to Disneyland at least 2-3 days a year (even though I now live on the East Coast!) Regarding newer films, I was really impressed with Moana, but I really didn't find Frozen to be that entertaining as so many others did. You really can't beat the older classics like my all-time-favorite Beauty and the Beast!
Adrian_Bookkeeper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Adrian_Bookkeeper »

Well my biggest concern over watching Disney movies is the fact that most were for teenagers and not having the same attention for adults. I also become more and more against the Disney's foundation since they are evolving way too soon. I am not even a fan of most Disney movies but I do dearly love those movies with real time messages of truth on life and how we conquer our trials. For example, the Frozen series show that loving heart and wisdom unto yourself and relatives is life changing. Not every love story is good since it can cause a lot of sorrow for the fact that it contradicts the reality for most people. Although, Frozen is a great film that has been created, I only remark it for the twisted sense of love and passion. But a Disney movie do have a taste of entertainment like the Emperors New Groove.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I was, but not currently, I rarely enjoy Disney movies now.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I'm a huge fan of Disney movies! I don't need a reason lol (or maybe I'm too lazy to search for one HA).

I've watched the live-action version of Beauty and the Beast and was so not into it. The original is so great, there was no need for a new one that didn't add anything to it (that weird scene in Paris... ugh). So I haven't dared watched the others.

Return to “Films and Books”