Who is your favorite Comedian?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Who is your favorite Comedian?

Post by Nym182 »

It could be stand up or movie star, I just wanna know who makes you laugh!

Specifically the team of Will Farrell and John C Riley is one of my favorites, I also love Bobby Lee, Seth Rogan and Jim Carrey.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

I love to watch comedy specials by John Mulaney, especially his New In Town special. Nick Offerman also has a couple great stand ups as well.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

kelso9326 wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 17:30 I love to watch comedy specials by John Mulaney, especially his New In Town special. Nick Offerman also has a couple great stand ups as well.
Both great comedians! Have you read any of Offerman's books? Paddle Your Own Canoe was really good.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I love Bo Burnham. He may be a bit inappropriate, but he speaks his mind.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

I absolutely love Russell Howard and Jack Whitehall. Both are amazing comedians and handy for me that they are British too - means I can (fingers crossed) see them in person on their next tours.
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

Nym182 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 08:40
kelso9326 wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 17:30 I love to watch comedy specials by John Mulaney, especially his New In Town special. Nick Offerman also has a couple great stand ups as well.
Both great comedians! Have you read any of Offerman's books? Paddle Your Own Canoe was really good.
I actually haven't read any of his books. I wanted to pick the new one about the love story of his wife and him but it was expensive. I didn't know he had any other books actually.
Wokeread
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wokeread.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wokeread »

I love Trevor Noah of The Daily Show.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

My all time favourite comedian is Jim Carrey. I think he’s a genius.

For stand up comedy though, I have to say Trevor Noah gets my whole family crying with laughter. I live in South Africa so a lot of his humour makes sense to us. We’ve been to some of his live shows here and we watch his movies over and over again. He never fails to deliver funny.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I really enjoy Jim Gaffigan and Brian Regan!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Only1Cola wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 07:40 My all time favourite comedian is Jim Carrey. I think he’s a genius.

For stand up comedy though, I have to say Trevor Noah gets my whole family crying with laughter. I live in South Africa so a lot of his humour makes sense to us. We’ve been to some of his live shows here and we watch his movies over and over again. He never fails to deliver funny.
I've been trying to get into Trevor Noah for a while now, but we don't have cable so I never get to see his show... do you have any recommendations for any of his stand up?
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

Nym182 wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 09:43
Only1Cola wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 07:40 My all time favourite comedian is Jim Carrey. I think he’s a genius.

I've been trying to get into Trevor Noah for a while now, but we don't have cable so I never get to see his show... do you have any recommendations for any of his stand up?
He has a couple of shows on Netflix. I recently watched Afraid of the Dark. It is hilarious! Most of his South African shows I have on DVD, but I’m not sure if they’re available elsewhere. Maybe you could try searching on Amazon?
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

I do love Seth Rogan, his movies are hilarious! My favorites for film though are Will Smith, whether funny or serious his performances are always effortless, and the late Richard Prior, who could brighten up a scene with one look. As for stand up, I cannot decide between Lee Evans, Russell Howard, and Michael Mcintire. They all leave me in stitches.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

LianaMayhew wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 16:41 I do love Seth Rogan, his movies are hilarious! My favorites for film though are Will Smith, whether funny or serious his performances are always effortless, and the late Richard Prior, who could brighten up a scene with one look. As for stand up, I cannot decide between Lee Evans, Russell Howard, and Michael Mcintire. They all leave me in stitches.
I agree with you! Seth Rogan and Danny McBride are both super funny (especially Danny McBride) And Will Smith will always be a classic... I still watch Fresh Prince and fin it just as funny as ever!

I am not super familiar with the stand ups you mentioned (other than Prior haha) I'll have to look them up!
jvillalobosm86
Currently Reading: Wellness Toolbox
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvillalobosm86.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Post by jvillalobosm86 »

Big fan of George Carlin and Bill Hicks.

They both have a very acid humor, while addressing social matters with humor. Both strike me as very smart people, not just a character telling jokes.
Art West
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-art-west.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Art West »

It’s tough to narrow it down to one. There are and have been a ton of great comedians. Here are some that I really enjoy...and I realize this list will be showing my age.

The Three Stooges
Rodney Dangerfield
Jerry Seinfeld
Groucho Marx
Laurel and Hardy
Tim Allen
David Letterman
Bob Hope

Those are just some off the top of my head.

Return to “Films and Books”