Favorite and Least Favorite Stephen King adaptions (Some spoilers)

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Favorite and Least Favorite Stephen King adaptions (Some spoilers)

Post by Nym182 »

What is your favorite an least favorite adaptions of a Stephen King book?

I would have to say my favorite is Shawshank Redemption or IT (the mini series) and my least favorite would be the Gunslinger.

I also have a bone to pick with Secret Garden and the Stand. Those are booth movies/series that I loved 90% of but the endings killed me (spoilers ahead)

In The Stand mini series, everything was spot on and pretty much perfect... except the end. I still get so mad with literally "the hand of God" appears and sets off the bombs... the graphics and concept are so cheesy. They could have easily done what King did and just had them explode. Even if they have Mother Abigail say "that was the hand of God" would have been better then the blue hand that came out of no where.

as for Secret Window, I get mad at it just on principle. The whole concept of the story was how important the ending is... and then the movie changed the ending. It made me so mad.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Javabean321
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javabean321.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Javabean321 »

Favorite is definitely Shawshank. One of my top 5 favorite movies ever. I also really loved The Green Mile (and thought, as adaptations go, it was pretty spot on for the most part). There are a few I haven't seen, but of the ones I have, my least favorite would have to be the new Pet Sematary. I went to see it with a couple of guy friends and we laughed through most of it. It wasn't scary, and I hated the parts that they changed.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Both great movies!

I haven’t seen the new one, but the original (also pretty not good) was my first horror move. I loved glen in it...

Did you ever see the newer dark tower movie? It’s pretty bad ha
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Choosing my favorite adaptation is tough. I recently rewatched the first Carrie adaptation and found it much better than the subsequent ones. Shining is also great though it's a Kubrick product that diverge from the book to the point that Stephen King dislikes it.

I agree about the least favorite, I mean, packing a whole series of books into 90 minutes was a doomed effort from the beginning.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

NetMassimo wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 01:44 Choosing my favorite adaptation is tough. I recently rewatched the first Carrie adaptation and found it much better than the subsequent ones. Shining is also great though it's a Kubrick product that diverge from the book to the point that Stephen King dislikes it.

I agree about the least favorite, I mean, packing a whole series of books into 90 minutes was a doomed effort from the beginning.
The minute I found out Eddie and Susannah weren't going to be in the movie I knew it was doomed... I've hear they are doing an Amazon series on it and hopefully that one will be better (the bar is pretty low ha)
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Nym182 wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 09:22
The minute I found out Eddie and Susannah weren't going to be in the movie I knew it was doomed... I've hear they are doing an Amazon series on it and hopefully that one will be better (the bar is pretty low ha)
Well, it would take a real commitment to do worse than the movie! :mrgreen:
Massimo
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

NetMassimo wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 01:44
Nym182 wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 09:22
Well, it would take a real commitment to do worse than the movie! :mrgreen:
Could be a conspiracy... maybe make the show worse so the movie looks better in comparison :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Nym182 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 08:12
Could be a conspiracy... maybe make the show worse so the movie looks better in comparison :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
They should pay Amazon an awful lot of money to do that! :mrgreen:
Massimo
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

NetMassimo wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 10:36
Nym182 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 08:12
They should pay Amazon an awful lot of money to do that! :mrgreen:
because if it's one thing Amazon needs, it's more money :twocents-mytwocents:
habsfan212
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-habsfan212.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by habsfan212 »

A lot of awesome Stephen King movies but I gotta say The mist is something. My family and I are are still talking about that shocking ending.
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

I enjoy a lot of Stephen King adaptations but haven't read much of his work. One that confused me a lot was Dreamcatcher. For favorites, I'd have a top three: The Green Mile, Misery, and, Shawshank Redemption.
20hannahrose-mayer
Currently Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-20hannahrose-mayer.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by 20hannahrose-mayer »

Misery was okay. To me, it didn't come close to capturing the suspense of the book. I think the old It TV movie with Stephen Curry was pretty great-- he played a great Pennywise! Albeit a little campy, it's a nice adaptation from the book. But oh boy, don't get me started on Kubrick's The Shining. Cinematically, it's fantastic, sure. But the way he changed key plot points from King's book is low quality! You know what I'm talking about...King's ending is so warm and satisfying, so let's leave it like that, shall we? haha. I'm in agreement with ole Stephen on that one.
jeweini
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jeweini »

Ms Vinkel wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 21:58 I enjoy a lot of Stephen King adaptations but haven't read much of his work. One that confused me a lot was Dreamcatcher. For favorites, I'd have a top three: The Green Mile, Misery, and, Shawshank Redemption.
I have also enjoyed it a lot.
PRECIOUSreads
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousreads.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by PRECIOUSreads »

Both the original and the remake of Carrie were truly remarkable. I do however favor the remake. 10/10
PRECIOUSreads :techie-studyingbrown:
JaimeAlfonzo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaimealfonzo.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JaimeAlfonzo »

My favorite adaptation is The Stand, and by far the lessfavorite " the running man", that was abysmal.

Return to “Films and Books”