Stephen King Books vs. Movies

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
bherring1303
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Stephen King Books vs. Movies

Post by bherring1303 »

Stephen King is a well known author, and probably my all time favorite. There have been many films made based off of his books. I want to hear people's opinions if you are into those kinds of books and movies. I honestly think the older movies are better. The new ones are not going by the book. Please let me know what you think as well. Thanks! 😊
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'm not a fan but my best friend is. I think the only new ones she liked were Pet Semetery and It.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Lena_Goetz
Currently Reading: Firelight
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Lena_Goetz »

I do like the movies, however, I prefer reading his books. I think Stephen King always manages to build an image in the reader's mind that can not always be portrait in a movie. One of my favourites is the shining and even though all the actors did a great job, the movie was just not as scary and mysterious as the book was.
cassiekeech2019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: -2
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cassiekeech2019 »

For me, watching a movie based on a Stephen King book is exciting. As soon as I finish the book, I look for the movie.
There are so many great books of his that need to be made into movies.

My favorite Stephen King book and movie is The Stand.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Stephen King is great at depicting his characters with their emotions and feelings and that's tough to adapt into movies or TV shows. The original Carrie movie is great at that, The Shining has Jack Nicholson and that creepy atmosphere but too often recent movies focus on action and horror movies focus on special effects, not enough to adapt a Stephen King's work. I haven't watch the first It yet as I'm a bit scared of the result.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Stephen King is also a favorite of mine! I favor the books more since I am not usually into horror movies, but I agree... the older movies are definitely better. The only new movie based off his books I liked was the new IT movie, but even that doesn't compare to the original mini-series.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Cross game
Currently Reading: It
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cross-game.html
Latest Review: The Adults in the Room by Jeffrey D. Mechling

Post by Cross game »

As believed by many people including me I also Stephen King's book is much better than the movies because the scenes explained by him have more feelings which are not being abled to be portrayed well in the movies. The feeling felt by the characters are only told in books . The traumas , the happiness , the sadness , the anger can only be explained in words . Because when we watch movies we interpret the feelings that the tha characters are going through . Each and every person's interpretation will vary and might not be able to show what the writer is trying to say , or potray
tnichol93
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tnichol93 »

I really feel like the newer films coming out are doing a better job of capturing the details Stephen King puts in his books. It’s really the little things that make his world so real. I did enjoy the twist in Pet Sematary. It definitely added a new creep factor to that story. The casting in It was phenomenal. Both the children and the adults were exactly what I imagined while reading that book. Bill Hader was so good and I can’t wait for future adaptations.
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

Do you know that one of the alltime movies, The shawshank redemption is a adoptation of a Stephan King book?
Lost Star
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lost-star.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Lost Star »

I would say I like his books more than the movies. The books are usually better though
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

You are very right by the the new books going off point from the books. I feel they either produce the movies based off what they feel Stephen should had written or something. I feel more at home reading Stephen's books over the recent movies acted off these same books.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

Stephen King has a very unique writing style. He’s a very creative man and a huge imagination. I do prefer some of the movies adaptions over the books.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I do not like Stephen King. I'm sure him as a person is completely fine, but I cannot bear reading his books. Each one has unnecessary references to mature content, and his writing style is just really difficult for me to get into.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I think books better portray the psychological horror of Stephen King novels .
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

The movie horrified me in many ways compared to reading it. So, I prefer the latter one!

Return to “Films and Books”