Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Danny Rands
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by Danny Rands »

I would get the book first, because even after reading the book seeing the movie doesn't have to mean it's going to be boring(unless the movie itself is boring). But just a note, I think reading creates a better picture of a story than watching a movie. I learnt that the most when I was reading the novel Artemis fowl. If you love fiction please you need to read this novel.
MBerretta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mberretta.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by MBerretta »

Tough question! I think both have pros and cons!
If you watch the movie first, sometimes it allows you to better visualize the characters and surroundings. As for me, I watched The Witcher first and then went back and read the books.
Sometimes the selection of cast for the characters of the book is a letdown. So if you've already got a picture in your head of where it takes place and what everyone looks like then you watch the film and it's nothing like you've imagined, you tend to hate it.
I've watched Bridgerton and now I'm reading the Duke and I and it's going a lot more smoothly!
"I want to learn everything I can, and I write down everything I see. Golly says if I want to be a writer someday, I better start now, and that is why I am a spy."

-Harriet M. Welsch (Harriet the Spy, 1996)
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I'm that reader who always declines to watch a movie unless I read the book first.
Some novelizations also piqued my interest (Shape of the Water!), so I'm thinking of reading the novel version before watching the movie.
I'm more than ready to get enraged and burst out that "THAT IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE BOOK!!!!" :doh:
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Teen_grl_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Teen_grl_ »

It's definitely the book first! Because sure, movies are great but the way books can make your imagination run wild is unparalleled!

Have a great day❤
Marife Solito
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Marife Solito »

It depends on you. For me movies are great starter that will serve as a foundation before taking yourself into the world of reading. Reading will suffice all the missed information you have seen in the movies and watching will definitely give you some preview.
Kelvia_plath
Currently Reading: veronica decides to die
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Kelvia_plath »

I would personally prefer books as I feel books to be more detailed to read and it takes me to a different universe. But I do appreciate the effort taken to make a movie. It takes a lot effort and talent .
Bookreviewer71
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer71.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear Continues by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Bookreviewer71 »

I prefer to read the book first. When we read the book, we can perfectly understand the essence of what the author intends to convey. The film version sometimes either exaggerates or plays down the characters and the story of the book. Also, If our mental image of the story doesn't coincide with the film version, we can avoid watching it altogether and savor the book for eternity.
Abdo Sonbol
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading: The Da Vinci Code
Bookshelf Size: 32
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by Abdo Sonbol »

There are no doubts that we must take the book first for many reasons:
1- when you read a story you create your own world with your feelings and colors.
2- films make it so limited for our brains to imagine.
3- feeling books in our hands make sense to be filled with the story.
Thafheema Zaroony
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thafheema-zaroony.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Thafheema Zaroony »

I can't decide 'cause sometimes I feel like reading other times I like to watch movies. It depends on my mood😅
Abdullahi A 2
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Abdullahi A 2 »

Book first because even actors/actrsses reads scripts and when the scripts are gathered it turns to become a book.
Furthermore,a book can be read without distractions but it seems difficult to watch movies without observing discussions or electric faults
Apeksha Pant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Apeksha Pant »

Definitely book. movies usually spoil the plot which is so well written in a book. So if a movie has a book , i will read the book and never watch the movie .
Natalia Nazeem
Favorite Book: The Amulet of Samarkand
Currently Reading: We are Volhuire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalia-nazeem.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Natalia Nazeem »

If there's a movie that's based off the book, I'd honestly prefer to watch the movie first, and then read the book. This is mainly because I won't be disappointed by the movie - most adaptations tend to fall flat because of how much they miss out, or work well as standalone movies, better than adaptations. For example, Stanley Kubrik's version of 'The Shining' is a classic movie, and works well as a standalone film. However, when you compare it to the book, there are so many aspects that he changed, or ignored, that it doesn't stand well as an adaptation - he changed too many things to make it a good adaptation, but it is still a good movie. That's why I prefer to watch the movie first, enjoy it, and then read the book and get a richer, more descriptive experience of the world and of the story itself.
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by dennisbragra »

After what i went through with Game of thrones, I would prefer to read the book first to like understand the plot of the movie.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I don’t know what comes first for me. If the movie is well made I won’t read the book at all as I did for the Harry Potter series. And if the movie is not good as the book, I will read the book first. If I loved the book and can’t get over it, I watch its movie. For instance, I read the book The Fault in our Stars first and then watched the movie.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I usually watch the movie first, but if the movie has yet to be released then I will read the book first. I don't think I need to always read the book before seeing a movie that is already out. If the movie interests me I will usually read the book.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.

Return to “Films and Books”