Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
jvillalobosm86
Currently Reading: Wellness Toolbox
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvillalobosm86.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by jvillalobosm86 »

Book first all the time. I personally feel that movies have the need to cut time, meaning the narrative gets altered. Many times they aren't able to put into images what the author described in words.
Only exceptions are Fight Club (in which case, I didn't enjoy the book) and American Psycho, because of the slow pace the book has during its first half.
lisalams4683
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lisalams4683 »

Hello, first off, this is my first day and just saw this post so I'm taking a minute to respond.

It all honesty, depends for me. Sometimes, I will watch a movie first then read the book, and vs., sometimes I will read a book then watch the movie. This being said the funny thing is most of the time, I don't know if a movie has book to follow and vs., I don't know if a book has a movie.
happygirl37
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-happygirl37.html
Latest Review: Experiencia de vida by Clara limonta

Post by happygirl37 »

Definitely book first, that was I have the opportunity to create and imagine the story in my head. If I watch the movie first, I provably won't end up reading the book.
Lily4466

Post by Lily4466 »

Well that's a pretty tricky question. 'Book first or movie first?' Ugh okay so let me get this straight. Some of us prefers book first and some prefers movie first. Going for the 'book first' is quite like making your imaginations real but at the same time you are already aware of the next scene. But that won't be a problem if you enjoy the fact that you already know the upcoming scenes. Going for 'the movie' is basically for those who wants to enjoy the movie without knowing the story plot lines. So in my case I would go for the 'book first' because I love watching my 'imaginary' characters being 'real'..
booksaddict

Post by booksaddict »

The book and the film that is based on have different enjoyment, the book gives the reader more chance to fantasize and realizes what is hidden between lines, the film is considered as an interpretation to the book, maybe it is creative some way, and you have freedom to accept it or not, simply it is arguable matter.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I try to read the book first if possible. I get more details and understand the story much better, not to mention I'm able to favour the characters a whole lot more if I'm visualizing them by myself. Afterwards, just because I wanna see how everything plays out onscreen, I go ahead and watch the movie.
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

For me, it's ideal to read the movie first. I try to get my hands on whichever came first and most of the time, it's the book.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

I go for movie. Seldom that I read the book after I have watch the movie.
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

books_andpoetri wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 01:32 For me, it's ideal to read the movie first. I try to get my hands on whichever came first and most of the time, it's the book.
Oops should have been 'read the book first.'
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I almost always read the books first before watching the movies. The only exceptions have been the Harry Potter series. I watched all the movies first but whenever I know there is a movie based on books I always read first watch later.
LibbyHudson90
Currently Reading:

Post by LibbyHudson90 »

Book! Always that Way you can use your imagination and then see it come to life
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I prefer to read the books first! If I have already seen the movie, I tend to listen to an audiobook version of the novel since I don't have to pay strict attention to it to follow the storyline.
Kim8110001

Post by Kim8110001 »

For me it really depends on which one I get the opportunity to do first. I usually, 90% if the time, watch the movie first. I enjoy reading the book though. The books always seem to be more detailed and it gives me the experience of making out the characters and their features and imagining the scene.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I always choose to read the book before watching the movie or tv series. There is so much more information in the book than the screen can portray. I would rather go into an experience to live in more detail first and then watch something that is a shorter version. Often the book must be adapted for the screen so that is just so much shorter and often lesser and it is difficult to go from assuming that is complete and correct to a longer, more convoluted story. The preconceived notions from the screen can change how we understand the nuances of the book.
Thabang Amos
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabang-amos.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Thabang Amos »

I have a rule where I don't read a book if I saw the movie adaptation. I feel as though it's wasted time. It's like trying to imagine something which you have already been shown

Return to “Films and Books”