Your Specialty?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Your Specialty?

Post by Snowhite189 »

Do you have a recipe of your own that you usually cook to your family or to your friends, you want to share it here? We, Filipinos love to eat adobo so that's one for me, I love to cook adobo, the usual ingredients and procedure but I add 1 tsp of brown sugar and hard boiled egg to it and it tastes good.
What goes around comes around
bpluvsmusic
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bpluvsmusic.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by bpluvsmusic »

I have sort of a funny specialty that my sister and I picked up from our mom- clean out the refrigerator soup. I know, not really a recipe, per say, but if you know how to combine ingredients well, it usually turns out well. My mom is very good at putting together a meal with random available ingredients and no recipe. My sister and I seem to manage to do that much of the time as well. When you have a bunch of leftovers in the fridge from the last few nights of dinners, sometimes it's nice to use it all in a new way. The best leftover soup usually involves some leftover veggies, leftover red sauce of some sort, and some leftover noodles or ground beef. My mom often just uses water as the base, but we always have homemade chicken broth in the freezer, so that is generally what I grab. It's surprising how well this concept turns out if you know which leftovers to leave out and which to include!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

When I married my husband he told me I had to learn to make his mom's pizza style spaghetti. You cook the noodles and put them in a baking pan. Then add pizza sauce mixed with one egg. Mozzarella cheese and pepperoni goes on top. Then bake it for 30 minutes at 350. It's easy and very yummy.
Auschef_53
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Auschef_53 »

My specialty is seafood.
Gmdiamzon 2
Favorite Author: Scott Hughes
Favorite Book: Devilish
Currently Reading: His to Protect
Bookshelf Size: 124
fav_author_id: 6516

Post by Gmdiamzon 2 »

Yes and its roasted chicken. I know eveeyone knows how to cook roasted chicken but as a newbie here this is my best recipe i ever made 😊
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

I tried making quiche for the first time about a year ago and it was a hit! My family loves it and we freeze them for our parents. However I have to be in a special mood to make them, I need a lot of focus and space.
Txangel0213
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-txangel0213.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Txangel0213 »

I thoroughly enjoy all kinds of cooking, being in the kitchen is my happy place. If I had to pick a specialty I would have to say its in the baking genre and it would be my cakes and pies. I use only fresh ingredients and make everything from scratch. All of my friends and family request my cakes and pies for all special occasions and holidays.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I make a mile high apple pie. It's the best. I use Alton Brown's recipe, and it never fails.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

dtb wrote: 24 May 2018, 16:28 I make a mile high apple pie. It's the best. I use Alton Brown's recipe, and it never fails.
Alton Brown is awesome. My uncle's holiday corn casserole came from him.
He made me yell at the tv once when he put a drop of bleach in the soaking water for the corn on the cob. Science or not that freaked me out.
Last edited by thaservices1 on 28 May 2018, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

My love to cook dish is stuffed peppers. Word to the wise, ground turkey does NOT work!
But I'm told my sauces and dressings are my speciality. My last hit was a balsamic ranch. I used the ole store bought mix, hidden valley I think, but substituted half the mayo with cream cheese, I added a generous amount of garlic powder, dill, and black pepper and a tsp or so of balsamic vinegar.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
JeanFour
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by JeanFour »

Everybody have there own destiny and imagination and what they do is there mind functioning like. But for talking about specialties , it is easy to know by your own that what make you feel good about doing your job , how you look at different situations and that's all.
elliebelle2018
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elliebelle2018 »

beef caldereta from the Philippines is my specialty that i learned from my mom.
abit spicy salty and sweet. everyone should try it and taste the mouth watering caldereta.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Baked mac and cheese. Takes about an hour to make but it is worth the wait.
:techie-studyingbrown:
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I just moved and don't have my recipes on hand but I make a great matzo ball soup =)
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

Oh man, I love chicken adobo!

My go-to that people usually ask me to make is chicken pot pie and quiche. The pot pie is a little more labor-intensive than the quiche, but it's so good. They're both great make-ahead meals you can then store in the freezer for later use. Quiche is also extremely versatile. I usually put onion, spinach, bacon, and cheese in mine, but you could do just about anything and season any which way.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”