Eating Vegetarian

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
sbcollins
Bookshelf Size: 0

Eating Vegetarian

Post by sbcollins »

I recently became vegetarian and I struggle to find recipes that are easy and cheap. I end up falling back on sti fry a lot. I'm sort of recently out of college, so money is tight. Suggestions? (Also if you have a favorite vegetarian cookbook, let me know!)
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

I really like doing vegetarian chili. The base is beans, onions, garlic, tomatoes (usually in a can), chili powder, cumin and oregano and as far as vegetables, I add whatever I happen to have. Tonight's had carrots, celery, and bell pepper. I've also added mushrooms, zucchini, pumpkin, corn... and probably stuff I'm not remembering. Here's a link to the recipe I use: https://www.theendlessmeal.com/easy-veg ... li-recipe/

Other options: Shepards pie, roasted vegetables, vegetables with pasta... This vegetables with rice recipe is really good: https://www.recipetineats.com/oven-bake ... egetables/ (Again, I just use what vegetables I happen to have rather than specifically what the recipe calls for)

Also, you can use the tops/skins etc leftover from most of the vegetables you cook to make stock for soup, so it saves some money by using them twice.

I don't have a cook book recommendation but I find most of the recipes I use on Pinterest. :)
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

Cswrawr wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 23:25
I don't have a cook book recommendation but I find most of the recipes I use on Pinterest. :)
That's a great way to get recipes. Also Taste of Home has a good selection of recipes. Other cooking websites might have some excellent recipes.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Pame17
Currently Reading:

Post by Pame17 »

Am vegan, I love cooking vegetables just 5 mins only you done. For recipes check on Instagram vegan recipe, vegan bowls, vegan dishes etc
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

Cswrawr wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 23:25 I really like doing vegetarian chili. The base is beans, onions, garlic, tomatoes (usually in a can), chili powder, cumin and oregano and as far as vegetables, I add whatever I happen to have. Tonight's had carrots, celery, and bell pepper. I've also added mushrooms, zucchini, pumpkin, corn... and probably stuff I'm not remembering. Here's a link to the recipe I use: https://www.theendlessmeal.com/easy-veg ... li-recipe/
I agree with Cswrawr - Chili is such a great vegetarian food, and this recipe sounds awesome!

I usually put TVP in my chili as well for extra thickness and protein. I find it tastes best if you brown it in the pan at the beginning like you would meat.

Also- cornbread to go with that chili!! If you make an unsweetened or very lightly sweetened version, it is more like food and less like cake, and you can add in other delicious ingredients. My current favorite (served with black bean soup) is: corn bread with 1 can corn, 1 can chopped jalepenos, 2 chopped scallions, 1 cup grated cheddar cheese. Bake in cast iron skillet for best results.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

What kind of foods did you like when you ate meat? A lot of flavor comes from seasoning, and while you can't replicate the unique flavors of meat, you can uses spices and sauces to make very similar food. For example, you can make a great quinoa dish that tastes remarkably like Thanksgiving stuffing but is a complete vegetarian meal. I was a vegetarian for I'm-not-telling-how-many-years, including through my poor college years, so I have lots of recipe ideas for you, and if you answer a few questions I can post more directed suggestions.

What kinds of food did you like when you ate meat?
Are you a vegetarian for health, don't like the taste of meat, environmental or other reasons? (helps with ingredient recommendations)
What is you kitchen-comfort level?
Do you like the flavors of whole foods or do you prefer lots of sauce/ dressing?
What exactly are your dietary restrictions? Do you still eat fish/ eggs/ dairy?

As an aside, I recommend getting a couple of the vegetarian flavors of Better Than Bullion, specifically the "No Chicken Base." It looks expensive at first, but a little bit goes a long way and it is a really nice flavor additive.
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

hey, not sure if you've seen this one, but it has a lot of vego options and is designed to be healthy but cheap!

https://books.leannebrown.com/good-and-cheap.pdf

I really recommend taking a look at her other stuff too, it's aimed towards students in your situation!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love eating raw vegetables splashed with lemon juice. As a matter of fact, it is better to eat raw food than cooked because some of the nutrients in the are killed when it is cooked.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I've been a vegetarian for 14 years now, including my college and poor days (which may still be considered current haha).
Knorr pasta sides - rice, pasta
Instant mashed potatoes
Lunchables
Yogurt
Eggs
Macaroni and Cheese
Pasta
Corn
Broccoli
I splurge on fake vegetarian deli meat, soy "chicken" - the brand morning star is amazing
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I've been mostly vegetarian for a while now, but I remember what it was like when I first started. So I recently started a blog of recipes that are fairly easy to make, tasty, and don't require a lot of weird ingredients (mainly tofu). https://wordpress.com/view/mostlyvegeta ... dpress.com
jhomarcams26
Currently Reading: Mistress Suffragette
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by jhomarcams26 »

I love veggies especially fresh lumpia 😘😘
This a combination of sweet potatoes carrots small amount of cabbage and toge with meat and it wrapped in a lumpia wrapper
Rabeya Sultana
Currently Reading: Winter Queen
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rabeya Sultana »

I like the vegetable soup mix of carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, pepper, Cabbage, onion and little ginger.This is healthy and helpful for our body. At least 3 days of the week I make it for me and my family.
jenjen06

Post by jenjen06 »

i soo love vegies most specially cabbage and carrots
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

It depends on what type of vegetarian you are. I am a lacto ovo, which means that I eat no meat but dairy and eggs are ok. As an Italian I eat a lot of pasta, but there are meat substitutes that make it so you can pretty much eat anything - Tacos, enchiladas, burgers, etc. I like Gardein, Boco, Amys, and Morningstar Farms
Joanna19
Currently Reading: The Ring of Solomon
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Joanna19 »

I'm late to the party on this conversation thread, but if you're still looking for vegetarian recipe books, and don't mind mature language, Thug Kitchen has a few really good recipe books. I don't care for their f bombs but they've never steered me wrong with their recipes!

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”