Eating Vegetarian

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Re: Eating Vegetarian

Post by thaservices1 »

Zucchini baked with a marinara sauce is a great filling meal that fits a budget nicely and is even tastier as a leftover. Butternut squash is also a good one to try, cut it and a small onion in half, stuff the onion halves into the cavities when you scoop out the seeds, brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with your favorite seasoning of the day and cover and bake them until tender. A pot of potato and broccoli soup can last days and when you tire of it, it can be frozen for later. Pastas and breads are sometimes easy go-to for vegetarians but are slow to digest and can leave you feeling sluggish. Try a homemade carrot and zucchini bread using applesauce in place of eggs, it also freezes well. Banana bread as well is filling and inexpensive and freezes wonderfully. Pumpkin seeds are often overlooked, but they are much cheaper than other nuts and offer many nutrients that can boost vegetarian diets.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

We've been eating a lot of veggie burrito bowls lately. However, I am allergic to avocados, and that is one of the saddest food allergies if you're trying to eat healthy.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Sorry I can't be much help, I must have meat! What about good old spaghetti and marinara sauce?!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

We eat a lot of vegies in our country if you want to make curries just try pakistani and indian veg curries. They are really delicious and extremely budget friendly.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Soups and stews can last you a long time when on a budget! To stretch a meal further I like to add rice, beans and pulses because they fill you up quicker and have a good bite. In my local supermarket (I live in Germany) you can get 250 grams of powdered Seitan that you make by adding water for less than 2 Euro. It is a great meat sub and you can add whatever herbs and spices you want to achieve a nice meal. It is a bit of effort (Takes about 30 mins to create) but is freezable and significantly cheaper than buying pre-seasoned Seitan which I find locally for about 5 Euro per 100 grams!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
MandyP
Favorite Book: Blood of Dreams
Currently Reading: Social Creature
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandyp.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MandyP »

I was a vegetarian for about 8 years and struggled at the start also, really not knowing what to eat! After a while it got much easier and I did like you eat a lot of stir fry's with tofu. I also bought a lot of vegetarian 'schnitzels' and 'sausages'. One of my favourite meals though was burrito's using a can of chilli or red kidney beans in place of the mince. A good pumpkin soup with crusty bread is another cheap meal.
This too shall pass ~Edward Fitzgerald :roll: :doh:
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Hi. I've been vegetarian since I was 12, and I've struggled a lot in college finding cheap, filling meals too. One great option is beans and rice, which can be very plain, but you can get wild grain/long grain rice, do a mix of beans, and spice it Mexican to add some interest. That tends to usually be the cheapest option. Lately, I've enjoyed mushroom sandwiches, which means sauteing mushrooms, melting swiss cheese over them, and putting the whole thing on a brioche bun. Hope these help!
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

I am not strictly vegan, but I do tend to eat vegetarian a lot more than not. I love PickUpLimes.com. She also has a YouTube channel where she shows you how to make her dishes. She has several videos that show you different options for each meal, all vegan. Most of her recipes can be adjusted to fit your taste, or if you can't find a certain ingredient. Most of her ingredients are common items you can get at any grocery store. I also love that she is a nutritionist and explains why she chooses certain ingredients, gives tips on better ways to cook things to get more nutrition out of them, and she gives kitchen tips.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

That is good for you dear It is very healthy and smart choice. There are some cheap recipes you can find online.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Shinderera Hime
Favorite Book: Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 2
Currently Reading: Shortcake cake
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Shinderera Hime »

I find a recipes homemade veggie burger, the meat was replace whit bean, moshroom or tofu. We try with bean and it was so much better then meat!😀
CharlizeGwapa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlizegwapa.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CharlizeGwapa »

You can find many in websites like Maggi Cooking site. I usually find new ones in there
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

Vegetarian pasta, veggie soups, veggie burritos, veggie sushi, vegetarian pot pies, and homemade hummus (so much hummus)...I''ve been vegetarian for 12 years, and my best advice for you is to get familiar with fresh and dried herbs and spices. The more you experiment, the more comfortable you'll become in the kitchen. I don't have any favorite sites, I usually just google a recipe, read the reviews (people will often leave tips or feedback on how theirs turned out), and then give it my best shot!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Hmm. I do this with meat but you can use veggies to make eggplant lasagna? Replacing the noodles with strips of eggplant makes it really nice.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Heatholt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatholt.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Heatholt »

I was a vegetarian for over two years. In my experience you can do a lot with a “veggie burger” recipe. It has a good balance of good with carbs and dairy and vegetables and you can adjust the patty however you want. You can use black beans and make it “Mexican” or chickpeas and make it “Mediterranean”
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

I liked the idea of being a vegetarian but i think it is impossible for me because i am a huge fan of meat. Caan't live without meat.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”