Red Meat: Should You Curtail it?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Innocent chinenye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innocent-chinenye.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Red Meat: Should You Curtail it?

Post by Innocent chinenye »

Most of us are aware that red meat when consumed in excess is not a very healthy choice. But what constitutes an excess of this food, and how bad is it? So, let’s take a closer look at these issues:

First, red meat may shorten your life! In 2012 scientists at the Harvard School of Public Health 25 evaluated results from more than 120,000 subjects in two studies and found that, after a period of 28 years, those who ate the most red meat (two or more servings per day) had a 30% higher risk of dying than those who ate only about 1/2 serving or less per day. They concluded that 8% of deaths in women and almost 10% in men could be prevented if people consumed less than half-a-serving of red meat per day.

Second, red meat is not “heart or brain healthy.” This means that the arteriosclerotic process resulting from consumption of this meat can lead to heart attacks and strokes, both resulting from closure of arteries supplying blood to the heart and brain. So even if you survive, you may impair the function of your heart or brain, and with it, your lifestyle could go out the window. The reason: Red meat is a major source of saturated fat in the average diet.

Finally, there is a relationship between red meat and cancer.To reduce your cancer risk, eat no more than 18 oz. per week of red meats such as beef, pork and lamb, and avoid processed meat such as ham, bacon, salami, hot dogs, and sausage.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I've mostly cut red meat out of my diet. This is due to the fact that I follow Weight Watchers and it is high in points. I have lost a lot of weight cutting it out and I don't really like the taste of it anymore.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

I'm not against red meat. We still eat it from time to time. But we've cut down and noticed our cholesterol numbers have gone down too.
njc28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by njc28 »

red meat is consumed wordly and can be in every day meal of some People. refer to scientific findings they prove that it should be taken in small quantity or replace with cereals.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

Our family eats a combination of lean red meat (elk, venison) and chicken and wild turkey. I know my dad has had trouble with gout because of too much red meat, he mostly eats beef though.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Thanks for the information. I eat red meat rarely.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

All I know is that I eat all foods in moderation as long as I have the appetite. Scientists have told us so much but I hold onto the fact that long ago,here in Africa we have groups that lived as hunters and gatherers yet they were just fine.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Hi! I just finished med school and I am also a vegan. I agree with everhthing you just said...just say no to meat in general, there are so many issues going on right now... If not, at least try some lean meats purchased from a reliable, safe source.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

If you only eat grass fed no grain beef, it is not a problem for your health.
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Thanks for the information! My partner and I did read/watch some info on why red meats should be avoided, or at least only eaten in moderation, and we do rarely consume red meats. Most of the time, we go for chicken, but occasionally, we still consume pork.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

Innocent chinenye wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 13:34 Most of us are aware that red meat when consumed in excess is not a very healthy choice. But what constitutes an excess of this food, and how bad is it? So, let’s take a closer look at these issues:

First, red meat may shorten your life! In 2012 scientists at the Harvard School of Public Health 25 evaluated results from more than 120,000 subjects in two studies and found that, after a period of 28 years, those who ate the most red meat (two or more servings per day) had a 30% higher risk of dying than those who ate only about 1/2 serving or less per day. They concluded that 8% of deaths in women and almost 10% in men could be prevented if people consumed less than half-a-serving of red meat per day.

Second, red meat is not “heart or brain healthy.” This means that the arteriosclerotic process resulting from consumption of this meat can lead to heart attacks and strokes, both resulting from closure of arteries supplying blood to the heart and brain. So even if you survive, you may impair the function of your heart or brain, and with it, your lifestyle could go out the window. The reason: Red meat is a major source of saturated fat in the average diet.

Finally, there is a relationship between red meat and cancer.To reduce your cancer risk, eat no more than 18 oz. per week of red meats such as beef, pork and lamb, and avoid processed meat such as ham, bacon, salami, hot dogs, and sausage.
Thanks for the information.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

Moderation. Most of lives problems is cause by lack of control. It's sad really.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

My family has a steak on special occasions but we mostly eat chicken and ground turkey. If a recipe calls for ground beef, I replace it with ground turkey. We make our hamburgers with turkey also. We are being intentional about eating more fish, even though it is expensive.
Comfort Ansah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort-ansah.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Comfort Ansah »

Very informative. I think when we talk about red meat being in excess is when it is a daily consumption and in large amounts. If we can reduce our consumption of red meat, yes we would be healthier.
Agatha Bushguy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agatha-bushguy.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Agatha Bushguy »

Innocent chinenye wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 13:34 Most of us are aware that red meat when consumed in excess is not a very healthy choice. But what constitutes an excess of this food, and how bad is it? So, let’s take a closer look at these issues:

Wow. I did not know all of these. Thanks so much.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”