Baking with Nana (grandmom)

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Baking with Nana (grandmom)

Post by Clinical1 »

Did anyone learn to bake with their Nana? One of my favorite memories of childhood is spending Thanksgiving weekend with my Nana and helping her bake Christmas cookies. She would soften the butter by hand and cut in the flower with 2 knives when making shortbread. I would roll the cooled cookies in the powdered sugar and decorate the sugar and butter cookies.
When I was a new mom, my Nana lived in Florida. When she came to New Jersey in early December for the holiday, I always invited her over for a weekend to help me bake cookies. I miss those days.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

That is lovely! One of my early memories is baking bread with my grandmother. She gave me a little piece to knead and bake myself. It turned out like a brick, but my grandfather still pretended it tasted good! I would have been about 3.
Parpetual
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Parpetual »

My nana was so awesome she loved baking cakes and she would gather us around to help in kneading and taught us how to decorate. I really miss her
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I baked with my mom. My maternal grandma lived two hours away and my paternal grandma passed away when I was 3, so I never got the opportunity to bake with either of them.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Love this! I never baked with my grandmother, but I would spy her making things, or I would ask questions about her recipes, which we now have!
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Linda Jones
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Linda Jones »

I use to loved baking with Nana. My favorite thing that she would bake was her biscuits and homemade peach cobbler. I can never get my biscuits like hers but it was a fun and exciting experience growing up
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

We dont bake our desserts, but I did help my grandmother make sweets when I was younger. So much fun and I got to eat hot desserts till I was sick in the stomach.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

I don’t have such an experience but I loved hearing about yours.
Sophia Scher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-scher.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Aether by Matthew C. Woodruff

Post by Sophia Scher »

All my grandparents helped teach me how to cook. I have never been super into baking so it was mostly cooking stuff. My Grammy taught me how to make fried okra the best way. My Mom's dad taught me how to filet a fish. My Dad's dad taught me how to make homemade ravioli and latkes. I credit my grandparents with my love for cooking and my skill.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

Both my grandmas spoil us a lot! But my paternal grandmother taught us her all time famous fruit cake. My sisters and I loved the bonding experience.
Sjtoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjtoy.html
Latest Review: Marriage Maximized by William Hutcheson

Post by Sjtoy »

Such a nice memory. I mainly learned to cook and bake from my mom, but I do have some memories of helping my grandma bake cookies when I was very young.
m+c4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-c4.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by m+c4 »

One of the first things I remember helping my grandma make was a chocolate souffle. I would mix the sugar and egg yolks by hand till it was light and thick.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”