At What Age Did You Start Cooking Food?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: At What Age Did You Start Cooking Food?

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I was not allowed to cook on the stove until I was a teenager! I guess my parents didn't trust me with the stove. I cook now, but there are times when I am not the best at it.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Library_Dragon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-library-dragon.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Library_Dragon »

I helped cook for as far back as I can remember but as for cooking a meal by myself? I think I was 11.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I wasn't allowed in the kitchen at my parents' house, so it would have been after I moved out. Probably 18 then. And it was such a treat to do my own cooking! I loved it then, and I still do.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

As a child, I used to help my mom and grandma around the kitchen all the time, but I did no actual cooking, just prepping. I started cooking when I was 18 and moved away from home for college, and I'm a pretty good cook now :)
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

I started cooking, while I was in primary three. I would cut the onions and tomatoes and asked my mom to stir so as to mix the ingredients, if she is frying.
Jeno2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Jeno2018 »

I started cooking in girl scouts at 9. But most of the time it was a major disaster unless I was told exactly what to do.Finally about the age of 30 I started reading more cookbooks and watching videos online and actually became a pretty decent cook.

The biggest problem was my mom didn't want us in the kitchen because it was just faster if she did it herself. Since I wasn't taught it took a while and many failures trying to figure it all out. Still learning to this day. Problem was I wasn't able to really teach my kids either :( hopefully I'll have a chance with the grand kids.
Oton Emekeme Sunday
Currently Reading: Addicted to His Blood
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: android

Post by Oton Emekeme Sunday »

I started cooking at age 11. Dad never wanted me to take part in anything as the last born of the house but all thanks to mum.
Oneka Quamina-Miguel
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oneka-quamina-miguel.html
Latest Review: Zeus Defied by Rez Khan

Post by Oneka Quamina-Miguel »

I started helping my mom in the kitchen at around 8 years of age. I thunkni cooked my first full meal at around 14 years of age. I made many sides to go with main courses though. Once I got my dad's approval, I knew it tasted great!
Love2read38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Love2read38 »

I started cooking at the age of 10 . This is an inherited love of mine since my father loves to cook . My grandmother taught him.
Queenyx
Currently Reading: Guidebook of How to Obtain Pureness of Heart Required to Enter Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenyx.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Post by Queenyx »

Frankly, at the age of 19 will in college. My meals were either tasteless or too salty. I knew something was wrong but being an over pampered child, I didn't know how to pin point the exact mistake each food had. I forced myself to eat those foods then compare it with my mother's food whenever i travel home from the college. This was so in order that I learn how good tasty food should really taste
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

The first time I ever tried cooking anything was when I was five. I attempted to cook scrambled eggs, and I remember accidentally dumping in so much pepper that the mixture turned almost black... It wasn't very tasty.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

I was about eleven when I started with chocolate lava cakes.
Neoli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neoli.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Neoli »

I think I was about 10 when I started to cook. If I remember correctly, I became interested in cooking after watching a lot of cooking shows with my mom and helping her out in the kitchen.
CupofJoie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cupofjoie.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by CupofJoie »

I started cooking at the age of 19 😂 The solo condominium life forced me to 😂. Anyways, I’m slowly falling in love with it ❤️ I guess it’s never too late to learn anything!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I think I was 13 years old. I remember making my first dish which was instant noodles😅😂. I made my own recipe and not according to the instructions.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”