Sneaking in fruit and veggies

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Sneaking in fruit and veggies

Post by Browneh »

Hey! I'm struggling to include fruit and vegetables in my diet at the moment as the taste is bothering me a bit.

Does anyone have some good recipes to sneak some into food? Like sauces, cookies, baking, etc.?
Library_Dragon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-library-dragon.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Library_Dragon »

My dad makes a killer stew that has beef, carrots, tomatos, potatoes, green beans and corn in it. I hate all of these veggies but love it in his stew. I think he found it on AllRecipes.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

Library_Dragon wrote: โ†‘22 Sep 2019, 21:31 My dad makes a killer stew that has beef, carrots, tomatos, potatoes, green beans and corn in it. I hate all of these veggies but love it in his stew. I think he found it on AllRecipes.
Stews aren't a bad idea! I'm gonna have a look into it, thank you :D
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

Maple Carrot Rice: chop a carrot into smallish bits, throw them in to cook with the rice, and then when the rice and carrot pieces are almost done add a swirl of maple syrup. I think a "swirl" might be 1-2 tablespoons.

And almost any squash baked in the oven. Just put brown sugar and maple syrup and cinnamon on it before cooking and it will taste great!
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

Juliet+1 wrote: โ†‘24 Sep 2019, 22:40 Maple Carrot Rice: chop a carrot into smallish bits, throw them in to cook with the rice, and then when the rice and carrot pieces are almost done add a swirl of maple syrup. I think a "swirl" might be 1-2 tablespoons.

And almost any squash baked in the oven. Just put brown sugar and maple syrup and cinnamon on it before cooking and it will taste great!
Ok this sounds delicious.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

I will often blend carrots, celery, green peppers, and onion and mix it with ground chicken and rice. Bake in the oven 350 x 45โ€. Really good and kids have no idea!
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Le-nic Pretorius
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-le-nic-pretorius.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Le-nic Pretorius »

Browneh wrote: โ†‘15 Sep 2019, 17:59 Hey! I'm struggling to include fruit and vegetables in my diet at the moment as the taste is bothering me a bit.

Does anyone have some good recipes to sneak some into food? Like sauces, cookies, baking, etc.?
Hi! I hope you are well. I usually sneak veggies into my pasta sauces. My current favorite is replacing a traditional bechamel sauce with a cauliflower sauce. I steam cauliflower and blend it with plant-based milk and spices until smooth. ๐Ÿ˜‹
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

I think the trick is to have lots of variety. Try different fruit when they are in season. So depending on where you live, it could be berry fruits in summer (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries), stone fruits in autumn (plums, greengages, cherries, nectarines, peaches, apricots), and citrus in winter (oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, clementines).
Use veg that are local and seasonal to you. Use unfamiliar ones and find recipes for them on the internet. Set yourself a challenge to try one new (unfamiliar) fruit or veg every week.

Don't "sneak" them in, celebrate them!
Ika Apro
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight

Post by Ika Apro »

I love juices made out of them, but I also think that eating them when you get very hungry first might get you into liking them.

Return to โ€œBook, Cook, and Craftsโ€