Audiobooks - The Kitchen's Best Friend

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Audiobooks - The Kitchen's Best Friend

Post by AdamRedWolf »

I'm just going to come out and say it... Audiobooks turned me into a good cook.

Before my discovery of Overdrive/Libby and Audible, I just didn't have the patience to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I'm an entertainment junkie, and we all know you can't read a book or watch Netflix while remaining efficient and mindful of meal preparation.

Audiobooks changed all that.

Don't get me wrong, the satisfaction of cooking and eating a well-rounded, healthy meal that YOU prepared with your own hands is it's own reward, but haven't you ever gotten to the end of dinner just to find that you've been in the kitchen for hours upon hours with nothing left to show for it? OF COURSE YOU HAVE!

Now imagine how the mundane task of chopping vegetables can transform into an action-packed (or love-packed, whatever gets you there...) adventure that takes you to another world. Before you know it, you'll be saying to yourself Whoa, where did all these chopped vegetables come from? Last I remember, I was crossing The Spine of the World with rogue Aes Sedai and The Dragon Reborn.

With hour after hour of hands-free enjoyment, I have not only come to love my time in the kitchen, but I've been given the gift of time as well. Time to learn about food, about cooking, eating healthy and being able to practice the craft with the 100% pure satisfaction of "reading" at the same time.

And none of these "Well, I can't listen to audiobooks because I don't like someone else narrating for me," or "I have to feel the pages between my fingers," excuses. If you haven't discovered the majesty of the audiobook-kitchen dynamic, you have to get on board. It will take your kitchen experience (and dare I say LIFE) to the next level.

Anybody out there had this experience? Sound off and spread the good word!
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

I can't say that I can listen to books whilst cooking. I enjoy listening to music or sticking on a TV show like "FRIENDS" but I don't know whether I'd fully be able to take in a story whilst concentrating on creating something.

Maybe it's just me?
Library_Dragon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-library-dragon.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Library_Dragon »

I cant believe I never thought about this!!! Thank you! I have whole lists of books that I want to read but never get around to. Did you know YouTube has a lot of audiobooks for free? I love their Night Huntress novel ones.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I've never tried listening to an audiobook while cooking, but it's a great idea. I think it would only work if I was making something familiar, though. New recipes require complete attention. :D
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Initially reading the topic title, I thought you meant listening to audiobooks in the kitchen. Whoops.

While the majority of my cooking skill/knowledge hasn't been from audiobooks, I do enjoy listening to any sort of podcast, video, or other audiobook while cooking. It makes the whole cooking process a lot less boring for me, since I usually more than once everyday.
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

I tend to listen to the radio when I'm cooking, the news stations, not music ones. Often there's a play or short story on which I suppose is similar to listening to an audiobook.
Rukayya Yusuf Hameed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukayya-yusuf-hameed.html
Latest Review: The Golden Manuscripts: A Novel by Evy Journey

Post by Rukayya Yusuf Hameed »

I have never tried this. But thanks for the advice. I’m trying it as soon as I can. Will let you know how it went.
Ishq594
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ishq594.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Ishq594 »

I haven’t tried an audiobook ever. I would love to thought
Ika Apro
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight

Post by Ika Apro »

I have never thought of doing such thing! That is very interesting. I definitely will give it a go.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”