What's Your Favorite POV to Read in?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Rangerkay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rangerkay.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

What's Your Favorite POV to Read in?

Post by Rangerkay »

So, I'm hoping to get some feedback on Point of Views. I am an author that has written in multiple point of views, but want to know what the readers enjoy most.

Is there a specific genre you prefer to read in first person?

What is your least favorite to read in?

Are action novels better to read in first person?

I know personally I could read in almost any point of view. My favorite would have to be first person because I feel that it truly captures me to read more. The plot and story line seem to come alive in first person.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

When I was younger, I adored first person. As I get older, I am a bit pickier with it. I feel like there needs to be "something extra" to justify first person.

Well-written third person (that is consistent in perspective throughout a given section or chapter) can bring a reader remarkably close to the action/character. Its a cliché reference, but J.K. Rowling does a great job of helping us identify with Harry and his perspective/being in the moment with him while staying in third person.

First person can be almost "too far in", I think. So I guess I personally feel like first person works best when its a choice that is intended not just to get us into the action, but when there's a driving character issue at play that first person really improves. For example, Tana French's latest standalone novel "The Witch Elm" is in first person- and the first-person allows the main character's own personal issues to be the "real" underlying story of the novel, which follows the mystery of a discovery in his family's old witch elm. I just finished Roxane Gay's collection of short stories, "Difficult Women," and it was fascinating to me to see when she went into first person and when she went into third. I really felt "just as intimate" in every story; it was just a matter of how fused with the psychology of the character / how she wanted to present the story
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

I generally enjoy third-person perspective more than first, but I have read some fantastic first-person books. Right now, I'm writing a novel in first-person past tense, because writing in first-person present tense leaves more of a chance of purposeless meandering, and makes scene changes more difficult to achieve in a way that reads effortlessly. I'm getting into the idea of reading books that are written in second-person, especially when it comes to horror, because it is a demanding and confrontational perspective, and I love the sense of claustrophobia it brings.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I normally enjoy third-person, because you get the full context of the action. If a book is written in first-person, I tend to enjoy it more if the POV changes from character to character, because each one tends to experience the events differently!
chibiparty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by chibiparty »

It really depends on the book. A few years ago I read a book I thought would have been better in 1st person. And I'm sure there were other books that I don't remember at all that would have been better in 3rd person (which could be a reason why I don't remember them?)
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

It does depend on the book. I definitely prefer first person if it's an action book. However, most times, I prefer third person as it gives insight into all the characters and does not focus only on one character.
"Growth is the essence of life."
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

I usually prefer third-person perspective more than first. When I read a book written in the first person, it seems to me that I am sitting in the head of this first person and looking at the world with his\her eyes. It almost makes me claustrophobic.
However, there are many good first-person books. Thanks to a good language and an interesting plot, I can forget about my “book claustrophobia”.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by spencermack »

3rd person past tense. I find it the easiest and the easiest to draw me into the plot twists.
Spencer Mack
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton

Post by unamilagra »

I typically like third person, but have read some excellent first person books. I also like when there are a couple points of view from different characters' perspectives, so you can get a more complete picture of what's going on.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I prefer third person. In general I find books aimed at younger readers such as middle grade and young adult to use First Person more often

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”